Expensive Restaurants Doesn’t Mean They Have the Best Food

I stopped eating pork twice. Once after reading about the trichinosis worm in pork, when I was in my early 20s. That really turned me off and abstained until I got bored with my menus. The second time was in my 30s, almost 50 years ago and haven't eaten it since. It makes me sick to my stomach to smell it cooking. I watched a special about the pork industry and finding out the process before it reaches the stores was shocking and disgusting, as was what the people who lived near the farms had to endure in the way of the terrible stench.

I tried turkey bacon, and you're right...it's not the same. I've seen several articles that mention the connection between processed meats (that includes turkey bacon) and cancer. I stopped eating processed meats a couple of decades ago too. I had two rules...if I can't read all the ingredients in 3 - 5 seconds, there's too much stuff in it. And if I can't pronounce some of the ingredients, I probably shouldn't eat the product.

Then I've always had this burning question. for people who are so religious but still eat pork...WHY? Do they not think that God knows what He was talking about and had good reason to instruct his people..the Christians, the Jews and the Muslims not to eat pork? Exception for we Muslims, at least...If we're stranded on a desert island with nothing else to eat and a pig runs by...better catch that sucker, cook him and eat him. :LOL:

@hollydolly I've always heard that pork was considered white meat like @againstthegrain and Oldman mentioned.
Just asking because I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but maybe I’m wrong, is it true that Muslims don’t eat pork?

Just asking because I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but maybe I’m wrong, is it true that Muslims don’t eat pork?
Apparently you have missed some of my posts about it Oldman. Yes, it's true. We are not to eat actual pork meat, anything containing pork by-products (such as gelatin [unless it's kosher or halal]}. We also have to be careful not to eat anything that is cooked on the same grill as pork. It sometimes makes eating at restaurants a challenge. But we've identified restaurants that do not cook non pork items on the same grill as pork items; it seems more of them are aware not to do that these days. After all, many of their patrons are Muslims and Jews, who also are not supposed to eat pork.

As I mentioned in another thread, God directed all of his people (Christians included) not to eat the flesh of swine, but some ignore that. In fact, tell them not to eat their beloved bacon and they'll rip your head off. :LOL: I have Jewish friends and at least one of them ate pork on occasion. I grew up as Christian, my parents went to church every Sunday, but my mother cooked pork as did other Christian family members.
:sneaky: But as Muslims, we're also taught that if there is nothing else to eat but pork and the alternative is literally dying of starvation, it would be permissible to eat.

I thought so. I remember watching the movie “Boyz ‘n the Hood when Cuba Goodling, Jr brought his dad (Laurence Fishburne) some food from the house across the street that was having a cookout and he asked Cuba, “I know you didn’t bring me any pig.” I thought then that he was probably Muslim.

Back