Expiration Dates. Do You Monitor Them Closely?

Remy

I think regarding some things they are a rip off. I had a cold last year and found some night time cold liquid in my cupboard. Expired 6+ years. Took the last two doses, worked and no ill effects.

I just put some organic pumpkin pie seasoning in my oatmeal. Expired two years. The stuff is fine. I know somethings can go bad but I wonder if these dates are a rip off, especially regarding some medications.

Thoughts?

Oh, yes, I sure do, Remy, but not in a wasteful sense.

For instance, as you so mentioned, medications, we, too, have taken cold and flu medicines past their expiry mark, and like yourself, no side-effects (medicine was still every bit as effective).

Now, speaking of food related items, I don't like chancing it, things like salad dressings, etc. If I see that a container of sour cream is fast reaching it's end expiry date, I'll make something where the remainder can be used up before-hand, but I'm always checking dates.

I suspect the suggested expiry dates are to ensure the makers of such products are covered legally against any farcical lawsuits. Expiry dates reflecting a premature expiry rather than a late expiry, to ensure food poisoning and other serious illnesses are prevented.

We attended a neighbourhood barbecue way back in the late 80's, and the people were clean and respectful, the food was over-the-top yummy, but all bottles of salad dressing the Mrs., put out were outdated. Needless to say, we ate our salad without.

It all depends on what you mean by Expiration Dates. Do you mean "Best before" and "Use by" because there's a big difference between the two.

If something say minced beef is marked "Use by"then you should follow that because the item can become unfit for consumption after that date unless you deep freeze it for future use before that date.

"Best before" means just that. A food item is at its best before that date. If milk has a "Best before" date of say My 5th it doesn't mean that it's unfit for consumption on May 6th which many people sadly believe. I mean what happens between 11.59 pm on May 5th and 00.01 am on May 6th that makes it unfit to use?

I was always taught that if an item that has passed its "Best before" date looks OK, smells OK and tastes OK then in all probability it is OK. I've opened milk that's been in the fridge for up to a week past its "Best before" date and it's been OK.

Sadly far too much food is thrown away unnecessarily just because it's one day past the "Best before" date.

Yes I'm very careful...and I know the difference between 'use by''..and 'best before''...

I got shellfish food poisoning years ago after eating at a pub restaurant , I was so ill the doctor had to come to my home and give me intravenous antibiotics..

I have never taken a chance with food since then..

When my DD was small I worked in 2 major supermarkets in the uk part-time, and I know how date labels are changed , so I will never use poultry, fish, shellfish, or chicken within 2 days of their 'use by'' date .. nor deli meats...

I'm very careful to chill left over rice immediately before keeping it in the fridge and use within 24 hours or throw it out...

I check the dates on many items in the store, because as fmdog said, many times they don't get rotated or removed from the shelf if outdated. At home, I use many things past their expiration dates, mostly canned food, medicines, etc. If it's dairy, I'll toss it if it doesn't look or smell good. Certain things, if they're too short dated, I won't buy them.

I don't really think the dates are a rip off, but that may be in some cases, but mostly just the company being extra careful not to be liable for making any customers sick.

I check the expiration dates in the store. I am extra careful about meats, fish and poultry.
At home I check the dates of food I have in the refrigerator and also go by smell. Cheese that is past its prime I grate and use in a recipes, Luncheon meats and especially raw chicken I toss as well as dairy products.
Although I remember my mom getting a few more days out of milk by just bringing it to a boil and then cooling it. I'm not sure if that would hold true with todays milk.
Most of the time I'm very good at using items before they go bad. I'm to thrifty to let anything go to waste.

When I’m CEO of the marketing world, every package or can will have to have the expiry date in the same place on the package. I also promise to require a larger font. I’m tired of turning and flipping to find it.

I can’t recall ever seeing “Use By”. Maybe “Best if Used By.”

Even bottled water has a BB/MA date.

Once when travelling, I stopped at the grocery store for a bag of potato chips. One bite and I was no longer hungry. It was stale dated for that day. I took it back so they could pull them from the shelf. It’s the only time I’ve ever been able to just eat one chip.

When I’m CEO of the marketing world, every package or can will have to have the expiry date in the same place on the package. I also promise to require a larger font. I’m tired of turning and flipping to find it.

I can’t recall ever seeing “Use By”. Maybe “Best if Used By.”

Even bottled water has a BB/MA date.

Once when travelling, I stopped at the grocery store for a bag of potato chips. One bite and I was no longer hungry. It was stale dated for that day. I took it back so they could pull them from the shelf. It’s the only time I’ve ever been able to just eat one chip.
"Best Before" is what I see most often on items.

Next time we’re shopping we’ll have to look for any “Use By”, if we can find the label. Maybe it’s just a Canadian rule.

Next time we’re shopping we’ll have to look for any “Use By”, if we can find the label. Maybe it’s just a Canadian rule.
I can't recall ever seeing "Use By" stamp, Jules.

Just went through the pantry and fridge quick and all is stamped with dates only, no "Best Before", at least not on anything we have in the home.

Prior to there being the dates being placed by the producer, I used to date stamp every can or box that came into the house.
Now that's what I call dedication! :)

0016.png

When buying cakes, pies or pastries, I check the "sell by" dates. I take the latest dates to get the freshest which they usually try to hide on the bottom of the display.

Back