Face coverings (masks) encouraged.

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
According to The Guardian, President Trump is reportedly set to encourage wearing face coverings in public to slow the spread of Covid-19.

Here's an informative article about how using homemade masks can help slow the spread, and also a link to how to make your own.

The benefits of wearing a mask. Here's an excerpt from the article:
"The primary transmission [of coronavirus] is now known to be droplet-based, and we now know that that transmission largely occurs in the first seven days after infection, when people are largely asymptomatic. So that means that if you’re highly infectious, you probably won’t know it. So we should all assume that we are potentially lethal to people around us. The way we are potentially lethal to people around us is when we speak: that’s when these micro droplets get ejected up to six feet. If you’re speaking, and you put a couple of layers of cotton or paper towel in front of your mouth, the droplets go into that and not into the face of the person you’re speaking to. That’s why masks dramatically help reduce the spread of the virus."

And then here's the link to how to make your own masks. It's a DIY recipe that actually using various cloths and paper towels requiring no tools other than a pair of scissors.

Making a homemade mask

Don't you have to wear a mask to make a mask? What a conundrum.
Why would you have to? 🤷‍♀️

If you don’t already have everything on hand (and who doesn’t have an old tee shirt and pair of socks they’d be willing to sacrifice?) then as long as you leave the supplies in the sun or spray them down with alcohol or run them through the wash first you’re gonna be fine

Good stuff.

I'm going to experiment with option two. I may even plug in the flat iron!

IMO this type of video is very important for the average person that may not have the money, time or tools available to purchase or create a more elaborate mask.

Once the virus is gone the bandana style mask could be helpful for carpenters, DIY folks, campers, that need the quick temporary protection of a dust mask.

Thanks!

I think we all need face masks and should have been told that from the beginning. Look at Asia and how they are all wearing masks--they are smart! I just bought a few scarves I'm going to put around my face and head when I go out. I hope to get them tomorrow.

Everyone should get them...(y)💗

My wife is taking this seriously, and being quite an "artisan" with her sewing hobbies, she found a UTube video this morning, and is right now working on making us a couple of nice masks. By Suppertime, she will probably have a couple of nice ornate, and effective masks for us.

I made the bandana style mask using a single full-sized sheet of paper towel folded into thirds and it would be fine for a quick trip to the market.

I did swap out the two rubber bands for two loops of kitchen twine.

Now if I could figure out how to keep my glasses from fogging up everything would be fine.

I've made a couple this week. ... One is with an old white cotton t-shirt. and the other one is a neck scarf meant as a dog fashion statement.
It has a velcro closure that goes around my head just right.
... ps. both look very homemade. hehe

Wonder when the time will come when the average person can just go online and buy some of the disposable ones?

It's just every time I see a picture of someone making masks, they are wearing a mask. I'll wait until I can get one at the Dollar Store for a dollar.
Really?

Ok well that’s definitely not my choice. I have no idea how many have touched the masks who have been exposed or infected, how long ago, and no control over that anyway. I’d much prefer to use items that I am in complete control of.

Really?

Ok well that’s definitely not my choice. I have no idea how many have touched the masks who have been exposed or infected, how long ago, and no control over that anyway. I’d much prefer to use items that I am in complete control of.
Nice to read a post from a thinking person. As I walked into a small store, an employee was handing out masks. I just ignored her.

Really?

I worked in the apparel industry for over 40 years. Throughout that time I observed a majority of professional sewers wearing masks to protect their lungs from fabric dust and the chemicals used to finish fabrics.

I made the bandana style mask using a single full-sized sheet of paper towel folded into thirds and it would be fine for a quick trip to the market.

I did swap out the two rubber bands for two loops of kitchen twine.

Now if I could figure out how to keep my glasses from fogging up everything would be fine.
I wear glasses all the time too and realize the fogging. Bea, I just ordered this from Amazon and it didn't cost that much:

Face shield

I worked in the apparel industry for over 40 years. Throughout that time I observed a majority of professional sewers wearing masks to protect their lungs from fabric dust and the chemicals used to finish fabrics.
Oh ok! That makes perfect sense. It seemed that the poster was implying that the purchased masks were somehow safer than homemade ones because the sewers were wearing masks. Perhaps I misunderstood

91894570_10158034748098905_7382619207784988672_o.jpg

I have a box of Curad masks on my desk here and was surprised to see they have an expiration date on them. They are sealed in individual packets, so I don't understand why they would expire?

Back