Families of Aurora Colorado shooting victims express concern over new 'Joker' film

RadishRose

SF VIP
Authorities in Los Angeles on Tuesday responded to a fight that broke out inside a movie theater during a screening of Todd Phillip’s “Joker,” a report said.
The fight broke out at AMC Burbank at about 8:54 p.m. local time, the Hollywood Reporter reported. The magazine reported that the fight included four individuals. One man appeared to suffer a head injury and there was an unconfirmed report that a glass bottle was used during the melee.
The movie itself has been criticized as excessively violent.

I don't think a movie itself is enough to set off violence, but a barrage of violence as entertainment can.

Can anyone explain why we are entertained by violence and murder?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/los-angeles-police-respond-to-fight-during-joker-screening

Interesting question, Radish.

I think violence and murder as entertainment are really in two different categories. Violence as entertainment I can't understand at all. I hate it, and when possible, I usually fast forward past it.

Solving a murder mystery can be a fun mind game. The important thing is recognizing the clues, using your own intuition, etc. The murder itself is not the main thing. So why murder? Why not "Who did the really ugly act of vandalism? Who is the scam artist bilking thousands of elderly people? Is the politician lying about what he/she did?" And so on. Clues can also be used to solve those kinds of mysteries. And yet, we seem to be stuck in this "murder" mode.

Sometimes it gets silly. With TV series like Murder, She Wrote and Midsomer Murders, I have to wonder why anyone would ever go near those communities in real life!

Interesting question, Radish.

I think violence and murder as entertainment are really in two different categories. Violence as entertainment I can't understand at all. I hate it, and when possible, I usually fast forward past it.

Solving a murder mystery can be a fun mind game. The important thing is recognizing the clues, using your own intuition, etc. The murder itself is not the main thing. So why murder? Why not "Who did the really ugly act of vandalism? Who is the scam artist bilking thousands of elderly people? Is the politician lying about what he/she did?" And so on. Clues can also be used to solve those kinds of mysteries. And yet, we seem to be stuck in this "murder" mode.

Sometimes it gets silly. With TV series like Murder, She Wrote and Midsomer Murders, I have to wonder why anyone would ever go near those communities in real life!
Just dial "M" for Murder.
But I see what you mean.

A boxer just died after being knocked out. For me, personally, when I see a boxing match I feel like I'm back in the Coliseum, watching a gladiatorial fight to the death. My body is pretty well shot, so when I see healthy guys beating the hell out of each other, I fear all the pain and discomfort coming their way as they age out. But I can't deny people love to see the fights.

I suppose for the same reason people rubber-neck at traffic accidents. Morbid curiosity?

I don't care for violent films and I don't care for explicit sexual content, either. Some things are better left to the imagination.

Back