Fascinating article about a study of Neanderthal bones which indicates they may have hibernated.

I love the Guardian, but they don't let me on anymore. They imply I'm a moocher. My favorite newspaper, the Guardian.

Neanderthals always fascinated me. We know now, that many Europeans have small percentages of Neanderthal DNA. I hope I'm one of those.

Bears in "torpor" is something new to me, and perhaps Neanderthals did enter that state. Time will tell.

BTW I never bought that story that was pushed when I was a child- that they never mated with Homo Sapiens, "C'mon, use your head" I'd say as soon as I learned about the B & Bs.

I enjoyed this article @asp3 , thanks.

So many articles postulate that something astounding "may" have happened, but if you are going to use the word "may", shouldn't it be followed by "or may not " have happened to be truthful? Who's going to read "Neanderthals may or may not have hibernated"?

I like to feed birds in the backyard. Last week we got 12 inches of snow followed by bitter cold so I made sure the feeder was filled thinking they would really need it. Nobody showed up. My conclusion was that it is better not to exert a lot of energy to find food at a time when there is little to be had. I guess all critters eventually figure that out including humans and that behavior becomes instinctive.

Back