few spring pics I took today

hollydolly

SF VIP
...in and around my neighbourhood.

Took the car because I had to go to the pharmacy , first time I've been able to get out for a week..,. I visited the ancient village church first and had a walk around the tiny grounds just having a little chat with the almighty...no-one there. so no problem with social distancing.. , and then drove off into a very deserted town centre to get my things...

I stopped off and took some pictures of my neighbours' land on the way , we live semi-rurally so no-one much around..

although still very much winter in that the trees are bare of very much , all the daffs are out in people's private gardens.. (pity you can't see many in my pics but take my word for it or look to the left of this picture and you'll see them on the left of the Canada Geese ...) :D

IMG-4585.jpg

IMG-4573.jpg

IMG-4536.jpg

the road from my lane through to the woods..and farms..., by summer they are a complete canopy..

IMG-4510.jpg

The Viaduct... which carries overline trains North and south of the country and directly into London in less than 1/2 hour...

On the grass to the left and right are grazing horses..
IMG-4604.jpg

Captured the train going over , from the other side of the viaduct... (actually 2 trains going in opposite directions )

IMG-4596-1.jpg

...and a short time later..another on it's own heading north...

IMG-4599.jpg

Absolutely beautiful Holly. Is the viaduct very old? Kind of destroys the scenery but I guess it was necessary. We have many places like that also.
I learned a new word today. I never hard of a viaduct.
yes Ruth opened in 1850 so Victorian and very much in use today , the village train station is just across the road and up the hill from where I took the photo... :D It's the only one of it's kind in this part of England, many more in other parts of the UK and Northern England..

I love old train stations .. have you taken any photos of your village train station? You are fortunate to have such old landmarks where you live.

I love old train stations .. have you taken any photos of your village train station? You are fortunate to have such old landmarks where you live.
I didn't take any yesterday PInky... we have several train stations here, within a few miles of each other, not beautiful and colonial looking, but small anyway and not very pretty . I have photos of them somewhere on my computer I've taken over the years tho'... :D...
Almost everything (aside from towns which were built after the war ) is old in the UK... everything around here stems from around the 11th century..although not the train stations.. 😁

Holly - any chance of getting pictures of the ancient church? No matter how small, these are one of my 'things.' I like to create architecture in 3D. (The lighthouse in my icon is a 3D model that I built.) Your photos are very inspirational and I need that now.

Holly, so that's what green grass looks like, needed a reminder as ours is still mostly winter brown here, but it's coming along. We are a few weeks behind you.

You do live in a beautiful country, wish I lived there but on my bucket list to visit. I do have a relative there living in London who keeps saying the door is open.

Holly - any chance of getting pictures of the ancient church? No matter how small, these are one of my 'things.' I like to create architecture in 3D. (The lighthouse in my icon is a 3D model that I built.) Your photos are very inspirational and I need that now.
yes of course...they're nothing special... but if they're of any hep to you , you're welcome..

I'll see what I can find in my photos for you, because we have a lot of very old churches here, and yesterday I didn't take a picture specifically.. of the tiny local village church , just the grounds and one side of the church , as I usually do at different times of the year..but here's what I took yesterday if it's any help.....( and I'll look at pictures I've taken of other churches in the area and the other villages for you.. when I get more time today ..

In most of our village churchyard cemeteries the majority of the gravestones are several hundred years old.....and still some are legible.. many tho' at 500 years old are illegible, and barely standing..

Here are some pics I took yesterday... hope they are of use to you

this church was built in the 5th century AD by the saxons , and the original walls are still standing around the grounds... it was restored in the 11th century after the Norman conquest and then again in the 17th century, and the last restoration was 1903 and many parts of the interior and exterior are still original

The grave and gravestone forefront of the picture is over 500 years old... as are those behind it

IMG-4524.jpg

IMG-4530.jpg

The path leads down through huge swathes of farmland.. and the creek .... I was standing with my back to the farmland to take this picture...

Ah! Lovely photos to be sure. Really wish I could visit. All these travel restrictions have us chained to our homes. Thanks for posting. We still have snow in the middle of Canada.

Ah! Lovely photos to be sure. Really wish I could visit. All these travel restrictions have us chained to our homes. Thanks for posting. We still have snow in the middle of Canada.
yes I know all the restrictions that means no-one ( well most people ) can't travel. Shocked to see Heathrow airport still allowing people into the country yesterday, and no safe distancing in practice while people waited up to an hour for the ir baggage, and no testing....:oops:. however, if we can all enjoy even our local areas well away from other people, just for one time a day for exercise, it at least lifts our spirits.. and helps with the cabin fever. Yesterday was my first day out for 7 days after being so poorly, and really it just lifted my spirits immeasurably..

yes of course...they're nothing special... but if they're of any hep to you , you're welcome..

I'll see what I can find in my photos for you, because we have a lot of very old churches here, and yesterday I didn't take a picture specifically.. of the tiny local village church , just the grounds and one side of the church , as I usually do at different times of the year..but here's what I took yesterday if it's any help.....( and I'll look at pictures I've taken of other churches in the area and the other villages for you.. when I get more time today ..

In most of our village churchyard cemeteries the majority of the gravestones are several hundred years old.....and still some are legible.. many tho' at 500 years old are illegible, and barely standing..

Here are some pics I took yesterday... hope they are of use to you

this church was built in the 5th century AD by the saxons , and the original walls are still standing around the grounds... it was restored in the 11th century after the Norman conquest and then again in the 17th century, and the last restoration was 1903 and many parts of the interior and exterior are still original

The grave and gravestone forefront of the picture is over 500 years old... as are those behind it

IMG-4524.jpg

IMG-4530.jpg

The path leads down through huge swathes of farmland.. and the creek .... I was standing with my back to the farmland to take this picture...
Thanks! I did get to visit Belgium and Italy when my daughter was stationed there. Unfortunately, all my pictures were lost in a computer crash. They were very low-res anyway. The trouble with living in the U.S. is that it is a young country with a bad habit of tearing things down. In your country, it is evident that they value history and work to preserve it.

I have visited nearby old cemeteries. However, I have never seen one that had a standing church yard where the members were interred close to 'home'. Now, I wonder if there were any such places here - a research project for another day. Please keep documenting these old structures - one never knows when things may vanish - and I think a visual record is SO important, so valuable. And your images are wonderful. Again, many thanks. I never get tired of looking.

What peaceful looking photos Holly. Thanks so much for sharing. I could sit all afternoon by that water. Very relaxing.Also glad you felt good enough to get out & about.
I was over the moon to get out and bout CG,:love: it felt like the longest 7 days of my life tbh..I didn't go far and I wasn't out for long, and I'm feeling it today, but it boosted my mood no end to get out in the sun and take my beloved photos ... .

You take beautiful photos, Dolly, very sharp and colorful and well posed. I loved the first photo on post #1, I could sit there and just be in heaven. Love brooks more than any body of water. And the second pic in post #2 is also beautiful, love all those arches.

Back