Finding new friends.

Thanks for the tips. To answer, why I stay way out in the sticks. I, recently, came out of an"assisted living facility". There are two reason why. First was it would have drained me completely of every cent I had. Then I would have been dumped "someplace". When I was recovering from my hospitalizing, I was in several "nursing homes", which accepted what my insurance was willing to pay. I do have a chronic spinal problem, and in one of these places it took 4 hours for me to get a pain pill. The second reason I left the 'ass. liv. fac.', was that while I had tablemates and friends, it was not uncommon for us to eat in total silence- we had nothing more to say to each other. We all heard the same tired stories we all told. The place was clean, neat, and respectful of us. But everybody in the place is losing, day by day, physical abilities. It was little things, like you couldn't have your old warm cozy bed: you, now, had to have a hospital bed. And frankly, it's the friends, who will never show up for breakfast.
My Home is paid for, and while I can, I will live there. But it does come with the problem of being isolated in a rural setting.
[/QUOTE
That is very understandable. I plan on staying in my home. I an an extrovert. I enjoy meeting people, however I have friends that I keep in touch with..some more than others. I have two special friends that I talk with or text almost daily. We don't visit each other much but we do keep in touch. I also have family that doesn't live too far. I am sure it is hard living isolated. Its good that you are able to chat here in the forum with wonderful people.

After my husband passed, I was determined to find a senior center to attend. I joined one in town in April. I've since made a couple of what I consider friends and more "good acquaintances". The senior center sends a para transit or senior bus door to door to pick up those of us who don't drive. It has a wheelchair lift. There is one gentleman who came in a wheelchair for awhile, now he's walking again. There are breakfast foods available and we get a big lunch for $1.25. People play cards, there's bingo days and other games are available. Tuesdays & Thursdays are exercise days so those are the days I go most weeks. Sometimes there are special presentations, activities and trips. Over the past couple of months, more men have joined, including my cousin (this week). There's always lively conversation going on and we don't just limit our talks with same sex members.

Have you ever checked to see if a senior center is available in your area? If so, would you consider joining?

I'm pretty much home bound. Most of the time I'm in a wheel chair. I can walk, but only with a walker and for very short times. I know it's hard to believe, but there aren't thousands lining up at my front door, all dying to be my friend. It esy to say, well just get out. But when the getting out causes intense back pain. "Houston. We have a problem". What do I do?

If you cannot get out, can people come to you?
A day playing cards, group watch a DVD?
Do you have a skill to teach? Would someone come see you to, for example, learn
to play a musical instrument, or how to knit?

Back