Fired or Retire a year early

dasbill725

Hi, new to this group and desperately needing advice, hope, intelligent feedback. I'm the oldest and have been there in this department the longest, 26 years, I'm 61 and eligible to retire, and have been working from home since mid-March 2020.

Everything I do nowadays is wrong and I'm constantly being counseled about the tiniest of mistakes all of a sudden. It could also be that I've taught my three supervisors (all younger women) pretty much all I know on the main system. They've given me just about 2 months to improve or they'll use HR regs. to fire me. I spoke with HR and they said it's best to retire versus be fired.

I know I'll have to work elsewhere afterwards. It's just so darned unfortunate I'm in this predicament with no savings, no 401K, bills still to pay. Probably not much to say about my situation. The stress on this job is about to kill me. I've already had two heart attacks in this position, 2002 and a few years back. It's driving me crazy. I'm on LinkedIn trying to play catch up on resume building, etc. Thanks to anyone who could provide reasonable advice or input. Sincerely.

Have you documented any of what looks to be an effort to force you out? Have you been prescribed medication for stress/anxiety? Any chance you could retire on medical disability with the help of your doctor? Explore all avenues! For instance, age discrimination.

One more thing...you've already mentioned no 401k, but is there any kind of company pension?

ETA: After 26 years, now you've got a PIP and two months? Do you have copies of performance reviews from years past, especially recent years, showing that your work met or exceeded expectations?

Last edited:
I think the above post is good and I may add that my sister filed a class action suit against a company who was discriminating against older employees and trying to exhaust them into quitting in order not to pay their insurance. She won the suit in terms of very well over 100,000.00

I hope you will join us in our fun and interesting topics posted by many caring, kind and helpful folks here.

welcome55.gif

Last edited:
Hi, new to this group and desperately needing advice, hope, intelligent feedback. I'm the oldest and have been there in this department the longest, 26 years, I'm 61 and eligible to retire, and have been working from home since mid-March 2020.

Everything I do nowadays is wrong and I'm constantly being counseled about the tiniest of mistakes all of a sudden. It could also be that I've taught my three supervisors (all younger women) pretty much all I know on the main system. They've given me just about 2 months to improve or they'll use HR regs. to fire me. I spoke with HR and they said it's best to retire versus be fired.

I know I'll have to work elsewhere afterwards. It's just so darned unfortunate I'm in this predicament with no savings, no 401K, bills still to pay. Probably not much to say about my situation. The stress on this job is about to kill me. I've already had two heart attacks in this position, 2002 and a few years back. It's driving me crazy. I'm on LinkedIn trying to play catch up on resume building, etc. Thanks to anyone who could provide reasonable advice or input. Sincerely.
WOW!!! The first heart attack I would have been looking for another job. If HR advice is retire or get fired....not good. I pray you find another job soon being that you are not financially able to retire.

This is very unfair. I bet if you go on long term disability you’ll probably get a huge deduction in your monthly retirement funds because they’ll probably average out your last 3 years.

I would talk to a lawyer. Often your first appointment is free. It might be worth your while.

Document everything. Consider going on disability to buy yourself more time if you need it. Make sure it doesn’t cost you more than it’s worth.

Make a doctors appointment and keep records of how their treatment is affecting your mental and physical health.

It’s an awful long time to dedicate to one company only to feel ‘kicked to the curb.’

I’d be mad! 🤬 I’m in Canada so the laws could be different here than where you are

Anyway welcome.
We’re all totally awesome here.
Just ask us! 🥳🤩

243DADD9-59E1-4888-8144-49FC86C09DEE.jpeg

Last edited:
This is very unfair. I bet if you go on long term disability you’ll probably get a huge deduction in your monthly retirement funds because they’ll probably average out your last 3 years.

I would talk to a lawyer. Often your first appointment is free. It might be worth your while.

Document everything. Consider going on disability to buy yourself more time if you need it. Make sure it doesn’t cost you more than it’s worth.

Make a doctors appointment and keep records of how their treatment is affecting your mental and physical health.

It’s an awful long time to dedicate to one company only to feel ‘kicked to the curb.’

I’d be mad! 🤬

Anyway welcome.
We’re all totally awesome here.
Just ask us! 🥳🤩

View attachment 120509
I agree. However, it could be very expensive to hire a lawyer. And to prove her heart attacks were caused by stress from her job. But if she can find a GOOD attorney and kept GOOD documentation, she may have a chance to prove her job caused her mental and physically issues.

I agree. However, it could be very expensive to hire a lawyer. And to prove her heart attacks were caused by stress from her job. But if she can find a GOOD attorney and kept GOOD documentation, she may have a chance to prove her job caused her mental and physically issues.
I’m not saying to hire a lawyer. I’m suggesting to consult with one to find out what her legal rights are.

It has nothing to do with the heart attacks but I would also consult with a doctor to document the stress it’s causing.

That’s just being prepared. Even saying you’ve consulted with a lawyer might change the employees perspective.

Empowerment!!!

I’m not saying to hire a lawyer. I’m suggesting to consult with one to find out what his/her legal rights are.

It has nothing to do with the heart attacks but I would also consult with a doctor to document the stress it’s causing them.

That’s just being prepared. Even saying you’ve consulted with s lawyer might have them change their minds.
From my experience consulting with an attorney is just that... Consult. Consult is VERY limited. Just my opinion but it has a lot to do with the heart attacks if her job was the cause. I pray everything works out for her.

Are you costing the business/company for whom you work, money, when you make the tiniest of mistakes?

In the 26 years you have been employed with them, have you been dedicated and on time for work throughout the years?

Sounds like a whole lot of threats and intimidation, which isn't tolerated in the workplace here in Canada.

I would be willing to bet you have a great legal case account undue stress and hardship (caused by your employer), not to mention bullying, harassment, and scare tactics, all of which are unacceptable in the workplace.

Last edited:
From my experience consulting with an attorney is just that... Consult. Consult is VERY limited. Just my opinion but it has a lot to do with the heart attacks if her job was the cause. I pray everything works out for her.
Hiring to prove the heart attacks were work related might cost some but certainly wouldn’t hurt mentioning in the ‘consultation.’
Plus it will make her feel more confident knowing she understands her rights.

Are you costing the business/company for whom you work, money, when you make the tiniest of mistakes?

In the 26 years you have been employed with them, have you been dedicated and on time for work throughout the years?

Sounds like a whole lot of threats and intimidation, which isn't tolerated in the workplace here in Canada.

I would be willing to bet you have a great legal case account undue stress and hardship (caused by your employer), not to mention bullying, harassment, and scare tactics, all of which are unacceptable in the workplace.
I agree. Where my husband works, they have to be extra careful with elderly employees and how they let them go. Usually if they want them gone and there isn’t reason enough to fire them, they will ‘at least’ offer them some type of attractive settlement.
Geez and after 26 years you should get it. That’s a long time to be an employee.

I would say she’s got a case too.

The heart attacks you suffered, were they documented with your treating doctor/physician? Was it established that job related stress was the likely cause of the heart attacks you suffered?

Lots of good advice and lots to do.

Document every conversation, ask about an internal transfer to a different position, check on the possibility of unemployment benefits in your state, find out what your retirement/health care benefits consist of, check with SS to see what your benefits will be at 62 and 65/66, consult an attorney, update your resume, look into becoming a freelance contract employee for the next few years and finally if the boat is sinking anyway consider an entirely new job/career doing something that you would enjoy.

It all sounds overwhelming but if you break it down into your own personal project plan and go at it step by step it's all doable.

Good luck!

“New Beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.” - attributed to Lao Tzu

Welcome to the forum. A lot of nice people and good information here.

You have been given lots of advice and options from which to choose. Now, it’s up to you on forming a plan. Here in Pennsylvania, our labor laws favor the employer, unfortunately. For example; anyone can be terminated for any reason. The easiest one that I ever heard was, “We decided to eliminate your position.” If you were union, you could bump your way back in, otherwise, your shown the door.

On the lighter side, I remember when a friend of mine told me that his son got a job in an insurance billing office. On day one of his job, the person training him told him, “After I have trained you, everything you know, I will have taught you. But, I am not going to teach you everything that I know.” I thought that was pretty good because the trainee should learn some things on his own. Didn’t we all have to learn parts of our job on our own?

I'm constantly being counseled about the tiniest of mistakes all of a sudden.

I've been fired from several jobs in the last 17 years, it all started with counseling and supervisors documenting stupid stuff. sounds like they want you gone they are slowly building a case. Employers (in the USA) can fire anyone any time for any reason for the most part... all they need is documentation to cover their butts... find a new job ASAP.

companies do this all the time to older people to save money. they can hire a new person for less than they pay you. sorry you are in this situation but it happens often to older employees.

HR is not your friend even if they pretend to be. trust no one.

Last edited:
Since you’re going to be looking for another job after this, retiring would look much better on your resume. It will also leave the HR department more likely to give a positive review of your work.

If there’s a chance you might be fighting this legally, ignore the above. JMO.

I say stand up to it every way you know how... to the point of rubbing their face in it once you compile enough documentation to back your case. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You're already considering retiring, so go the course, where the chips fall, that's where they fall.

Back