First gray hair then cataracts, now my hearing-aging sucks.

In my late 30s, I got gray hair. My dad was gray at the same age. then in my 50s, I was losing my strength. then came cataracts, for which I just had surgery 3 weeks ago. now, I noticed I have trouble hearing female voices. My mom had hearing aids, and she drove me crazy when she wouldn't wear them.
This aging stuff sucks. This isn't a woe is me thread, it's a "it's life" thread.

It's life. Had perfect sight and hearing into my 40's
First was failing vision ... corrective glasses solved
Then cataracts at the age of 50. Still a mystery to me and the medical profession, why so young.
1000yrs from now, there will be 2 little clear Bausch + Lomb dots to mark my demise :ROFLMAO:
About 10yrs ago, gallbladder removal. Parts are falling off :oops:
Cumulative loss of hearing mainly due to too many flight decks and fan rooms in the military.
Some tones I don't hear at all ... those small AA operated chirping travel alarm clocks ... and some voices are muddy.
Often when speaking face to face with someone, I find I watch their mouth rather than look them in the eye.
I'm subconsciously trying to read their lips.

This is sometimes accredited to Dr. Seuss, but I doubt it:

THE GOLDEN YEARS HAVE COME AT LAST

I cannot see,
I cannot pee.
I cannot chew,
I cannot screw.
My memory shrinks,
my hearing stinks.
No sense of smell,
I look like hell.
My body's drooping,
Got trouble pooping.

The Golden Years Have Come At Last.
The Golden Years Can Kiss My ASS.

“Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young.” Theodore Roosevelt.
“Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.” Mark Twain.
“Almost all my middle-aged and elderly acquaintances, including me, feel about 25, unless we haven’t had our coffee, in which case we feel 107.” Martha Beck.
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter!
A retired husband is a wife’s full-time job
Children are the leading cause of old age
Don’t let aging get you down; it’s too hard to get back up!
I called the incontinence hotline. They asked if I could hold.
Now that I’ve become a senior, everything’s starting to click for me! My knees, my back, my neck…
Old age isn’t so bad, considering the alternative.
One benefit of old age is that your secrets are safe with your friends — they can’t remember them either!
With old age comes wisdom… and discounts!

Then cataracts at the age of 50. Still a mystery to me and the medical profession, why so young.
1000yrs from now, there will be 2 little clear Bausch + Lomb dots to mark my demise :ROFLMAO:
Damn. I thought of the same thing. Some archeologist finding two of my plastic lenses, and putting them in a glass case, because that's how they cured cataracts 5,000 years ago, "before medicine was a science".

On the other hand, my life time friend Gary Elliott, who is 76 this year, is STILL racing oval track stock cars, after 50 years of racing all over Canada and the USA. His primary sponsor ( for 50 years ) is Quaker State Motor Oil. He races and Wins against 20 year old drivers in long distance races ( 100 to 250 lap races in the summer heat ). He does most of the mechanical work on his race car, and he also operates a full time windshield repair business in his home town of Truro, Nova Scotia. The 2023 season will see him racing 26 times, 24 in Nova Scotia, and 2 in Ontario. They call him " The Iron Man " for very good reasons. Link to https://garyelliottmotorsports.com/ Gary and I have known each other since high school here in Toronto. He raced in Ontario from 1973 to 2017, then he moved back to Nova Scotia. Jimb.

Back