fishing for compliments

rkunsaw

My daughter is constantly doing this on facebook. She gets them too. Why do people do this?

Today her post went like this:

YOU MAY NOT ALWAYS BE THE PRETTIEST GIRL IN THE ROOM BUT YOU CAN BE THE KINDEST
GIRL IN THE ROOM. AND THAT'S OK BECAUSE HAVING A PRETTY HEART IS FAR BETTER THAN
HAVING A PRETTY FACE.

As expected everyone who replied said something about her having both. And her answer to each one was something like
awww it's so sweet of you to say that.

My daughter is constantly doing this on facebook. She gets them too. Why do people do this?

GIRL IN THE ROOM. AND THAT'S OK BECAUSE HAVING A PRETTY HEART IS FAR BETTER THAN
HAVING A PRETTY FACE.

As expected everyone who replied said something about her having both. And her answer to each one was something like
Your daughter may have just be posting something someone else says. I have a few that do that ALL the time and usually it is just to state a point and echos something they are thinking about. Maybe she doesn't want to talk about herself. Why don't you ask her why she does this?

HAVING A PRETTY FACE.

Yes, it is pretty pathetic. Some people post pictures of a meal they have cooked or a picture they have drawn with a view to being complimented. They get quite upset when it doesn't happen.

you know @rkunsaw i would post quotes on fb that said things i believed in and liked and people would sometimes interpret that as me feeling that way. sometimes i did and sometimes i just liked the quotes. but that's the only time i got told anything. so i don't know if i'd be so quick to judge. there may be something going on in her life that you're not aware of. my father would make little smart remarks on my posts which eventually lead to me not wanting to talk to him at all. i'm not saying you're wrong i'm just saying there may be more to it. just maybe keep it in mind.

Generally, this is a form of insecurity. Sheā€™s not alone. A lot of Hollywood elites go after compliments. One of the worse people is Kevin James, who doesnā€™t do well at the box office, but does do better on TV.
Karen Carpenter never thought she was good enough because her brother would always seek out perfection. We all know how that worked out.

Fishing? How about catching the fish and clobbering everyone with it?

I want a compliment right now. Tell me I'm a beautiful cat or I'll ignore you. Grrr.
Uh, if I ever want a furball coughed up, you're at the top of my list. (Don't ask how long my list is.)

bill_the_cat_1.jpg

In the 89 years of my mother's life, she never complimented me once, as far back as I can remember. She resented me, hated me.
I hated her back. A little positive feedback can go a long way.
You sound like me.

I learned that it doesn't take a lot to undermine someone, and it doesn't take a lot to build them up, either.

How old is your daughter?

I gotta say that I feel for adolsescents who live on social media. At that age, it's like tethering their emotions to a tailless kite, or maybe to an anchor and tossing it overboard. I imagine all of us have felt the sting, or unintentionally caused it...and we've already developed out sense of self.

Back