Flatulence

Vernon_VA

Have you passed more gas as you've gotten older? Do you know anyone who's particularly awful when it comes to farting?

This is another thing that's good about living alone. I can eat beans, onions and anything else that produces gas without having to leave the room every time I need to let rip!
I've learned which foods cause the problem and avoid the suspect ones when I know I'll be in company. I don't think the problem is any worse with age. My husband used to warn me and tell me to walk in front of him when we were out together..'don't get downwind of me!'.

I think I might be less flatulent now than I was when I was younger. The reason is I'm more aware of the foods that make me gassy and I know to be careful around them. The big discovery for me was making the connection between combining things that tend to make me gassy with sugary things. That seems to provide more fuel to the gas generation and really gets me going in a negative way. So now when I eat something that has a tendency to make me gassy I avoid sweet things until the gassy food has had enough time to digest.

I think I might be less flatulent now than I was when I was younger. The reason is I'm more aware of the foods that make me gassy and I know to be careful around them. The big discovery for me was making the connection between combining things that tend to make me gassy with sugary things. That seems to provide more fuel to the gas generation and really gets me going in a negative way. So now when I eat something that has a tendency to make me gassy I avoid sweet things until the gassy food has had enough time to digest.
*lightbulb*

This is another thing that's good about living alone. I can eat beans, onions and anything else that produces gas without having to leave the room every time I need to let rip!
I've learned which foods cause the problem and avoid the suspect ones when I know I'll be in company. I don't think the problem is any worse with age. My husband used to warn me and tell me to walk in front of him when we were out together..'don't get downwind of me!'.
I agree. It's a great perk since I live alone. At least your husband warned you. A friend of mine is completely unrepentant when it comes to farting, and his are especially bad.

Since I live alone I can eat what I want and let all the gas pass that I want so there's no problem.

And yes I think I do have more gas since I've been older. My dog and bird don't seem to mind it at all though😅
Ah, the perks of living alone! And I heard birds don't have a good sense of smell, so I'm not surprised there. The dog, on the other hand, should smell your gas a lot more strongly.

Ah, the perks of living alone! And I heard birds don't have a good sense of smell, so I'm not surprised there. The dog, on the other hand, should smell your gas a lot more strongly.
Well she never complains- my dog that is haha...

Last edited:
In Brit speak there's a word, just on the edge of acceptability, for farting, or fart. It's called guff. When I was in my early twenties, out on the town with a very good friend. He and I were at the bar, minding our own business when a group of young ladies came in, must have been about a dozen of them, all talking at the same time, what a racket. One young lady, who seemed to have that leader assertion suddenly announced, over the throng of their high pitched voices: "Sorry girls, but I'm going to have to guff." And she did, loud and proud, causing them all to fall about in hysterics. They then all stared at a wimpy looking young man, implying that he was the culprit. Poor kid had to leave, causing the girls to laugh even louder. And they say men have a flatulent reputation.

Back