Follow

Nothing apparently...not on this forum anyway..or so we've been told. On the last forum before we upgraded to this nice new shiny one, we could follow someone and get notification whenever they posted but I don't think it works on here...... waiting to be corrected... :D

Yeah, I've had alerts that I'm being 'followed'
...and guess I 'follow' some folks too
Seems rather mysterious
I haven't looked that hard, but don't readily see an option whether or not to follow someone

Putting your mouse over their avatar gives you that option, but what it actually does seems to be another question. :confused:

Following, or being followed...
It doesn't do much or mean much, but....;)

(and many people here don't bother with it.....but....;))

If you select some posters to "follow"
then,
you can click on your own name up in right corner of screen, sometime when logged in, and look down the options on right side of the box, and click on Following;
and it brings up your list of who you have in the past, indicated, and so, you are following.

It is just another way to choose if you want to,
to remind you of someone whose recent posts you may have missed, or that you haven't seen posting recently, and that you think you might have an interest in what they wrote.
Even if you look at New Posts often, you might miss a new thread or entry that someone posts, that follows up on a topic you had previously been interested in and participated in.

So, if you wanted to, you could glance at it once in a while, and then, you can click on anyone there, and then, click on their postings listed. Then, IF you want to, select any of those threads to go directly to.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but it really isn't!:ROFLMAO:

There was another recent thread, with questions and comments on the topic of Following, that you might find of interest.
Here is the link to that one:

https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/being-followed.44603/
Or just look for that one's Thread Title in this same section:
Being "followed"

People have often thought it does something it doesn't do.... because it doesn't do much!:)

Of course another way to browse for things that might interest you, is that you can actually click on ANY avatar, while on any thread at all,
and it wil bring up that person's profile, where you could click on Postings,
to see wht else they have written, if you think it might be of interest.

Or it's fine to just browse the forum any of the ways you are each already doing it! :)(y)

(Following does not trigger alerts, other than just the one that you started following them, or they, you)

Last edited:
Thanks Kaila for the explanation. Before the change to the new forum software, we had the Friends option, where your friend's avatars showed on your profile page. I always took it to mean those are folks you like, agree with and 'befriend'. It was just a fun thing to do. After the change, I saw that all my old Friends were now under Followers.

I think the fact that you have followers means that people must already think your posts are interesting... :)
I guess I'm not very interesting, I only have four "followers" after three years of standing on my sometimes loud soapbox.

I don't follow anyone because it sounds like a popularity contest like back in high school. Most of my life I've been shy and awkward and don't make friends easily, so popularity is a painful subject for me. There are a LOT of people here whose posts I always read and many whose opinions I agree or value, but I refuse to follow the follower game.

I guess I'm not very interesting, I only have four "followers" after three years of standing on my sometimes loud soapbox.

I don't follow anyone because it sounds like a popularity contest like back in high school. Most of my life I've been shy and awkward and don't make friends easily, so popularity is a painful subject for me. There are a LOT of people here whose posts I always read and many whose opinions I agree or value, but I refuse to follow the follower game.
I don't believe I follow anyone either...not because I don't enjoy their posts but I feel I can find their posts whenever I want to read them... I am flattered that I have a lot of followers , and I enjoy their posts, although some are not with us any more .
I think many people use it like bookmarking sometimes, if you know what I mean ... CL don't think of it as being a popularity contest I meant when I said to Rosemary that she mustn't feel she's disapointing people because clearly by having followers she's not... anyway since you've been here CL, I've certainly enjoyed your company and I'm certain many others have too.. and I think people now realise with the new format that the option to follow isn't necessary

I don't personally see it as a popularity or clique thing, :confused:

especially here on this forum, where I don't see people using it that way. (y)

I understand it could seem that way, though, and I don't like, that it sometimes could understandably cause someone to feel the old, difficult and sad feelings that many of us have experienced at times in the past.

Myself I see it as solely and simply, one of the many optional offered tools,
for me or anyone else, to choose or not, from various ways to browse the site, and to find threads of interest, and to perhaps not forget about a topic in common with some post or poster, especially an unusual topic of shared interest, or a poster who does not post often.

There certainly are other tools here, that I think most people at this site, use much more, and most find sufficient for them.

Followers on this format are from friends on the old format. I had plenty of followers but I’m a paranoid person so deleted all of mine. The idea of ‘following’ somehow got to me one day I guess . 🥴

Back