Free Items

I put several boxes of misc. items and things for scrap out front with FREE sign. Earlier today I saw a woman stop and take the oscillating floor fan. A few hours later, it was back in the pile. She probably took it home and found it didn't work and brought it back. Did she seriously think anyone would give away a fan that worked?

fan.jpg

I put several boxes of misc. items and things for scrap out front with FREE sign. Earlier today I saw a woman stop and take the oscillating floor fan. A few hours later, it was back in the pile. She probably took it home and found it didn't work and brought it back. Did she seriously think anyone would give away a fan that worked?

View attachment 124336
Yes. Most people give away stuff that works and throw away stuff that does not work.

View attachment 124336
I remember back in the 80's, even into the 90's, driving by people's homes and seeing the likes of baby cribs, playpens, highchairs, kids peddle type ride-'em toys (cars, bicycles, tricycles), and a whole gamut of other usable things/items in front of their homes or just off to the side on the street with a large sign, "FOR FREE".

Let me tell you, the above went fast! It was all perfectly usable stuff.

Now, if something is broken, there's little use putting it outside with a sign stating "free". People don't want someone else's broken-down junk, so I'm not surprised the woman returned the fan.

If you put an item out with the TRASH, there's a reasonable expectation that the item is broken.

If you put a bunch of items out with a FREE sign, there is a reasonable expectation that there is some value in the items.

Deb, you'd be on here squalling like a scalded cat if you lugged something home from a "free" pile and found out it was useless. You know you would. Don't expect differently of other people.

Kinda funny story...

I have lots of lemons and grapefruit from my citrus trees, so I bag up about 6-8 in each plastic bag and set them in my front yard w/a free sign up to see when passing by. Well, this ONE time I hauled them out in my Dad's old wheelbarrow, and dang it!, if someone didnt take (steal) the wheelbarrow too.

Now they're just left laying on the lawn... :)

If you put a bunch of items out with a FREE sign, there is a reasonable expectation that there is some value in the items.

Deb, you'd be on here squalling like a scalded cat if you lugged something home from a "free" pile and found out it was useless. You know you would. Don't expect differently of other people.

I don't know how this works where you live, but around here it is assumed if something is FREE there is something wrong with it. I would NEVER take free things that may not work like electronics and appliances. Dishes, at least you can see right off if they are chipped or cracked.

Curb rule here: If it's free, it's broken. If it's for sale, it's okay.

I really put things out for scrappers. A lot was metal and motorized items. I can't help it if other people stop and take things.

Last edited:

It didn't work
Yet you decided to pull it out of your garbage (since it didn't fit in the can) and set it out with a 'free 'sign

Incredible

Even for you

View attachment 124336

If you had instead taken it to an Antiques Roadshow event, you may have found it had amazing value. :)

Tony

View attachment 124336
In our apartment people leaving leave stuff in the laundry room for anyone to pick up if they wanted to. A floor fan is a common item. I check them out and try to fix them. Usually there's not a heck of a lot wrong with them. I fix them and put them back with a sign. This fan works.
Then it takes flight. I did get myself a terrific swiveling desk chair for my computer setup.

A floor fan is a common item. I check them out and try to fix them. Usually there's not a heck of a lot wrong with them. I fix them and put them back with a sign. This fan works.
Then it takes flight.
Yup

There needed to be a sign on deb's fan 'Does not work'

There is folks out there that like to tinker
I'm wunna them

I don't know how this works where you live, but around here it is assumed if something is FREE there is something wrong with it. I would NEVER take free things that may not work like electronics and appliances. Dishes, at least you can see right off if they are chipped or cracked.

Curb rule here: If it's free, it's broken. If it's for sale, it's okay.

I really put things out for scrappers. A lot was metal and motorized items. I can't help it if other people stop and take things.
ROFL!

Deb, I'm starting to think that you live in the land that time forgot. :)

Back