free miliary cemetery burial

tomfaria

I am a US Vietnam vet; 2 year draftee. Am I eligible for a free planting at a military cemetery? What are the requirements? Is there an online application? Thank you.

As another Vietnam vet, I can tell you that as both Old Medic and I have said, your local VA is really quite helpful. Pappy's advice to google the VA is good too, but when you can get a local VA representative to help, you can get it done more efficiently and also more correctly for your local situation.

If you have either not been in contact with the VA prior to this or had a bad experience in the past, I can tell you that things have really changed. Also, with the exception of one guy in these forums, attitudes toward us Vietnam vets has changed a lot in the intervening years.

Tony

I had discussed this possibility with my husband who was a vet. At the time I researched it, looked like he would have been entitled to free burial. But he had made other arrangements so I didn't need to use that service. I believe they just need to see your discharge papers and know that you did not receive a dishonorable discharge.

My dad, career Naval aviator, was cremated and his ashes scattered from the air over Monterey Bay. Of course it was his wish and I obviously honor that. But, I often would like to actually sit by his grave and talk to him. The many years I spent in, on and under the waves out there just had to suffice.

I had discussed this possibility with my husband who was a vet. At the time I researched it, looked like he would have been entitled to free burial. But he had made other arrangements so I didn't need to use that service. I believe they just need to see your discharge papers and know that you did not receive a dishonorable discharge.
You are correct and I might add that the military personnel who conduct these ceremonies do an excellent and dignified job. When I arranged for the burial of my step father, I was surprised to see that as a WWII Officer, he was given a letter of honorable separation of service instead of the form that is used today. The Navy people who did the service had never seen one of those before.

He went into the National Cemetery at Ft Bliss in ElPaso. There he is, a Navy Guy surrounded by all those Army Vets. He does have a great view of the Franklin Mountains and can catch some of those great sunsets. I think he would be happy with the choice.

We requested a military funeral for my dad and everyone was so moved by the burial. It was beautiful and chilling at the same time. I still cry when I hear "taps" whether on tv or at a funeral. My dad was a patriot in the best way. He loved this country more than anything. I still remember as a child his night terrors after he went to sleep. When he had them my mother would try to wake him often with her getting hurt in the process.

If anyone asked him about his experiences he would answer but never ever brought the subject up. He was "old school" and everybody knew how he and his brothers felt about their service. All four of them served in the army and with honors. They would be appalled at some of the things going on now,

Back