Free period products for schools

Rose65

This is a rather personal subject but I read that people want free products in schools and even work places. These items are expensive so I wonder why the fuss about expecting free period sanitary products?

When I was a girl, my mother discreetly ensured I had what I needed with me even though we were poor. I was basically regular, so I would be prepared and organised and I coped. It wasn't easy, as I had bad pain and heavy flow. Yet I never allowed myself to be caught without as I always had two pads with me in a pocket of my bag and I had painkillers. It is difficult for women to cope with this matter which is natural but rather a nuisance!

Surely it makes sense to provide dispensing machines or a supplyof sanitary products so women and girls can buy them easily but free is another matter?

I'm all for taking care of the female half of our nations - they work hard at outside work and keeping a good home going and taking care of the kids often - we may say 50/50 but its more like 40/60 at least in our favour for less work? - as he said getting squashed in the crush!!

I think it's fine but had a feeling, like everything else these days, it would be exploited. Why would you need them in men's bathrooms?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...al-products-shoppers-period-poverty-1.6204580

"Mensah says his group is pleased but would like to see the menstrual products available in female, male and gender neutral washrooms and to see a larger focus on including discussions about menstruation in Ontario's curriculum."

I have to point this out...........Check any high school girl's purse , and find a $800 I phone in it. Check their nails and hair, and learn how much they spend on those items. Most high school students, both male and female have part time jobs these days. Buy your own. JimB.

I have to point this out...........Check any high school girl's purse , and find a $800 I phone in it. Check their nails and hair, and learn how much they spend on those items. Most high school students, both male and female have part time jobs these days. Buy your own. JimB.
Indeed, why can't females buy their own?

Does everyone carry their own TP into a public restroom?

Just like many, many things in this world if men had to deal with it, the outcome would be entirely different.
The topic is about supplying menstural products to female high school students. I think you missed something, along the way. JimB.

This is a rather personal subject but I read that people want free products in schools and even work places. These items are expensive so I wonder why the fuss about expecting free period sanitary products?

When I was a girl, my mother discreetly ensured I had what I needed with me even though we were poor. I was basically regular, so I would be prepared and organised and I coped. It wasn't easy, as I had bad pain and heavy flow. Yet I never allowed myself to be caught without as I always had two pads with me in a pocket of my bag and I had painkillers. It is difficult for women to cope with this matter which is natural but rather a nuisance!

Surely it makes sense to provide dispensing machines or a supplyof sanitary products so women and girls can buy them easily but free is another matter?
where do you get the idea that sanitary products are expensive?.. they're not. A box of 18 of the top selling brand of Tampons is only around £3.

As with most things the things are in the details ....
a place i worked had some in ladies room and i had seen many a co-worker dump whole supply in purse for her use at home etc..... often generic types dispensed yet same hoarder suggested better brands and more variety.:unsure:

see story on these dispensers Oregon has legislated must be up in male restrooms too ..... are being pulled off wall and shoved in toilet by boys
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/sanitary-pad-dispenser-found-toilet

"A feminine hygiene dispenser was found in the toilet of an Oregon high school's boys' bathroom in an apparent protest against a recent law.

Lakeridge High School has sanitary pad and tampon dispensers in every bathroom, including the boys' bathrooms, where one dispenser was placed into a stall's toilet. Photos of the abandoned dispenser were shared online. Per an email from the school sent to parents, this was not the first time."

imagine the cost of constantly doing this ..... public taxpayer money and even corporations replacing as the word FREE seems to mean take all to some.

“Students have had access to free menstrual products in the washrooms of B.C. public schools since 2019, the Ministry of Social Development said.”

I’m guessing that these are generic brands. No more GKs in school so I can’t ask how it went. I think use of these items would be like admitting you‘re financially stressed so not many would use them unless they were desperate. There’ll always be someone to take advantage.

While I think that placing them in boy’s bathrooms is ridiculous…I do think that it would not be a bad thing. According to statistics…16 percent of americas children live in households below the poverty level. This could only be a plus for those folks.

Aside from drug or grocery stores, the only feminine products available were for purchase from a vending machine in ladies restrooms, but I haven't seen that in years. Making products available for free is an invitation to take advantage. Free, no, available for purchase, yes.

"Period products, such as pads and tampons, should be available for all who need them, when they need them, in order to access education. Having periods should not be a barrier to education for anyone. Making girls and women aware of the scheme is vital to making sure they can access period products when they are needed and to reduce the stigma surrounding periods.

This scheme is for all girls and women who need to access period products in their place of learning in order to access education. It is not a universal offer of free period products to everyone under the age of 19.
"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...schools-and-colleges-in-england#:~:text=The%2

Where does it say it is being offered to men???

Where does it say it is being offered t anyone over age 19?

Access to free sanitary products has been the norm in Scotland for some time...

Scotland has made public health history by making it the law for public settings to provide period products.
It is the first country in the world to protect the right to free sanitary products with new legislation that has come into force on Monday.
The Period Products Act means councils and education providers have to make the free items available to those who need them.

Aside from drug or grocery stores, the only feminine products available were for purchase from a vending machine in ladies restrooms, but I haven't seen that in years. Making products available for free is an invitation to take advantage. Free, no, available for purchase, yes.
Toilet paper and paper towels are available free in restrooms and the theft appears to be minimal.

I remember being surprised by irregular periods in HS and having to scrounge change for the girls' room machines - only to find them empty halfway through the school day, then racing to another restroom knowing I'd be late to my next class.

The very thought of possibly leaking visible blood onto my clothing was obviously unthinkable. Did I explain my predicament to teachers who marked me down for tardiness or scolded me in front of my peers? Of course not.

I support free unbranded feminine pads and tampons being available in girls' restrooms, but certainly not in boys' restrooms.

One reason why they might be in the boys’ restrooms is transgender girls who are transitioning to male. Really, this should be so minimal because of the medications they’re taking as not. They might not be welcome in the girls’ anymore.

Back