Freezing Fresh Veggies

Marie5656

OK< I always think of new things to do when the season is past. But I have been researching freezing fresh veggies. It seems that preparing them for freezing is not that hard. But just wonder , since I do not have my own garden, how cost effective it is to buy them at a farm market to freeze, over just buying frozen veggies. I was thinking of doing squash, as my husband likes it, but I do not. I figure I could freeze it in single servings or something.

Anyone do it?

I would not buy extra vegetables to freeze.

In my area I can go to Wegman's and buy one pound packages of the basic frozen vegetables for ninety-nine cents a pound, I don't believe that I could beat that.

I do sometimes freeze vegetables like cooked winter squash or broccoli in meal size containers when I've cooked too much and I don't want to waste it. Freezing surplus minced fresh celery for soups and casseroles also works pretty well.

I only freeze vegetables from my garden. I don't think it is cost efficient to buy and then freeze. Many years ago my Mom and Grandma would go to the farmers market and get bushel baskets of fruits and veggies . Sometimes he had baskets of seconds that he let my Grandma have for a very small price or free. I knew for the next day or two we would be busy cutting out brown spots or a worm here and there and there would be a lot of canning and freezing going on. In the middle of the winter those canned peaches and pears were to die for.

I agree with everyone else. When frozen veggies are so cheap to buy already it's not cost effective to buy fresh veggies to freeze unless you get them for a bargain price, or it's something you can't generally find in the supermarket freezer.. I would only freeze veggies I'd grown myself..

Thanks, everyone. It was just a thought. I tried growing vegetables when I first moved here, but I did not have much luck. My soil had a lot of clay in it. And what with having to add lots of topsoil, and fertalizer, it turned out not being a great move. Now, since I can no longer get down on the ground to do things, I will stich with buying fresh and frozen.

Back