Friday 13th... anyone superstitious

win231

SF VIP
Never believed in superstition; never had anything bad happen on Friday the 13th.
My mom was superstitious & sometimes used her silliness to avoid blaming herself.
She once got a speeding ticket & blamed it on a visit to a friend who had a Black Cat.
I had been criticizing her driving for months before that, but she had to find a scapegoat.

Marie5656

My smart business man older brother. But for good reason..back in 72, when he was starting his business, there was a small flash fire and he burned his face....on Friday the 13. Since then he will not fly, travel or do anything that day. Oh..and my high school had a bomb threat

Knight

Isn't the question, "Are you superstitious," about the equivalent of asking a person, "Are you irrational?"
I'm irrational since on a Friday the 13th. one time I answered my wife truthfully what I thought of a dress selection she had on if it looked good. Could have been any other Friday we were going out, but just so happens it was on a Friday the 13th. I've since learned to avoid that kind of question.

grahamg

Old codger
Never believed in superstition; never had anything bad happen on Friday the 13th. My mom was superstitious & sometimes used her silliness to avoid blaming herself.
She once got a speeding ticket & blamed it on a visit to a friend who had a Black Cat. I had been criticizing her driving for months before that, but she had to find a scapegoat.
Re your mum and the black cat etc., I didn't exceed the speed limit on Friday 13th, but the notice saying I'd done so a week ago did arrive on the day, (not the worst offence ever I don't think, after 10pm on a Sunday evening, caught by a fixed camera, not a soul about etc.). No black cats though, (as far as I can remember,...., wait a minute there could just have been, ..., no only kidding!). :)

grahamg

Old codger
I'm irrational since on a Friday the 13th. one time I answered my wife truthfully what I thought of a dress selection she had on if it looked good. Could have been any other Friday we were going out, but just so happens it was on a Friday the 13th. I've since learned to avoid that kind of question.
A niece of mine, on her wedding day, was told by one of the relatives of her newly enshrined hubby, that "though he liked the day ESS he'd rather see her without it on"!, (the fruity old devil)!

Have you thought of trying that one on your missus, (no guarantees it will work out well btw :) )?

grahamg

Old codger
see , Black cats are considered very lucky in the UK... in Spain they're just the opposite people will go out of their way to avoid a black cat
Not in my neck of the woods they're not, (though my black cat, given to me as a child lasted longer than all the other farm cats, about 2yrs before succumbing to traffic on busy road opposite farm, or wait a minute, was she a tabby?!).

Tish

SF VIP
No superstitions over here either, but my nan was.
I swear that woman had an omen for just about anything, if you dropped a spoon company was coming, the whole salt over the shoulder thingy. If you dropped a knife an argument was coming.
Death was coming if a bird appeared on the windowsill.
Shoes on the table meant a face injury.
Never open an umbrella in the house, it was bad luck.
Ringing in your ears? someone was talking about you, you had to bite your tongue to make them stop.
Then there was the evil eye, the itching of your palms.
The list goes on and on.

grahamg

Old codger
I swear that woman had an omen for just about anything, if you dropped a spoon company was coming, the whole salt over the shoulder thingy. If you dropped a knife an argument was coming.
Ringing in your ears? someone was talking about you, you had to bite your tongue to make them stop.
The list goes on and on.
All true though!
Luckily I forget most of it most of the time, but the salt over the shoulder thingy I do try to do, but not in restaurants of course, you'd look silly! :)

chic

SF VIP
Not superstitious but hyper aware. I don't make appointments on Friday 13th and do believe in omens. Yesterday was a crappy day for me but would have been whether it was the thirteenth or not. I see significance in things others don't and yes, my nana did die when her favorite plant fell off the fireplace mantel and shattered on the carpet below. It just fell. For no reason. We got the call that evening that she had died in the hospital. There are omens, warnings, whatever you want to call them. Some are attuned to them, others not.

angel 3.jpg

hollydolly

SF VIP
The list goes on and on.
My mother was the same...more superstitions than have been invented I think, Ironically she died on the 13th... ... I inherited some of that .. always do the salt thing, ears burning, someone talking about you, itchy left hand coming into money ... no new shoes on furniture etc

Knight

A niece of mine, on her wedding day, was told by one of the relatives of her newly enshrined hubby, that "though he liked the day ESS he'd rather see her without it on"!, (the fruity old devil)!

Have you thought of trying that one on your missus, (no guarantees it will work out well btw :) )?
:ROFLMAO:After 60 years of marriage I don't think I'd get away with trying that. Nice suggestion though.

Jules

I was going to say that I’m not superstitious but then I read this accurate post.

The list goes on and on.