Furnace is making an intermittent grating noise

I have a hot water baseboard heating system fueled by an oil furnace. It is heating okay, but sometimes when the furnace starts or shuts off, I can hear a grating sound. Doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it's not very loud and sometimes it sounds really loud. I had the furnace serviced last March when it stopped working and it was a bad flame sensor. Any ideas what's happening?

furnace.jpg

When I lived in the other house, the oil furnace flame thingy had to be adjusted just right or it made a noise when it started running, although I wouldn't call it grating.

You have an oil fired hot water boiler?
Sounds right. There's no hot water tank for the house. The hot water comes off a jacket of water inside the boiler, and let me tell you, it's scalding. Boiler temp set to 180F. I asked two people (a handyman in my church that looked at it and the fuel oil guy) if it could be set lower and they said there's no way to change it.

I noticed that the damper is always stuck open. I've put it down so it's freely swinging many times but when I look again, it's in a horizontal position. I've observed it when the furnace is running and when it shuts off and nothing happens, but when the furnace turns on, damper flies up and sticks in that position.

baffle.jpg

Back