Garden time!

I have two 72 cell seed trays planted and sprouting. I have two more filled with mix. Probably will plant them today. Flowers mostly and maybe some tomato seeds. The other seeds I have can be planted directly to the garden after the ground gets warm enough.

We've been gardening today as well.. Weed spraying etc... not planting any border flowers this year, no point, and anyway the garden centres are all closed. ..so our potted annuals are all we're making do with this year along with our laurel shrubs, forsythia, bay trees, Choisya etc
I donā€™t know about garden centers here, hadnā€™t thought to look. I buy my plants mostly at Loweā€™s. A few at Home Depot which is where we bought our bricks. Husband has next week off so heā€™s supposed to do a small brick retaining wall along the back fence.

We always seem to buy a house that is lower than the house behind us. But we will be able to build the small wall and put raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries in the space that is created. Next year we will have tons of fruit. I also plant lots of tomatoes, I like to give them to my neighbors.

I have two 72 cell seed trays planted and sprouting. I have two more filled with mix. Probably will plant them today. Flowers mostly and maybe some tomato seeds. The other seeds I have can be planted directly to the garden after the ground gets warm enough.
Hopefully when heā€™s off next week, he creates an in ground garden as well. After cutting the huge tree down, we need to level the yard. We have plenty of ā€saw duskā€ to put into the dirt. If only the house still didnā€™t need so many repairs which take so much money.

I donā€™t know about garden centers here, hadnā€™t thought to look. I buy my plants mostly at Loweā€™s. A few at Home Depot which is where we bought our bricks. Husband has next week off so heā€™s supposed to do a small brick retaining wall along the back fence.

We always seem to buy a house that is lower than the house behind us. But we will be able to build the small wall and put raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries in the space that is created. Next year we will have tons of fruit. I also plant lots of tomatoes, I like to give them to my neighbors.
I presume Lowes and Home depot are Big Box hardware style stores are they?... if they are , we don't have that option because they've closed all of ours during this epidemic... :(

I presume Lowes and Home depot are Big Box hardware style stores are they?... if they are , we don't have that option because they've closed all of ours during this epidemic... :(
They are large hardware stores that sell a variety of goods, they have been out of TP for weeks šŸ˜‚but not sure if they are considered a big box store like Costco, but I suppose it does not matter. Both have large garden centers, but even the grocery stores here sell a limited amount of plants and garden supplies.

We have a local greenhouse business in town, but sadly, may not open, no life there at all. I really don't want to travel out of town for may flowers, i'll see. Have never had a year without flowers. At the farm, had around 60 half whiskey and wine barrels for flowers, and a big veggie garden and several apple trees, and cherry bushes, strawberries, raspberries, all this kept the birds happy. I have 7 half barrels in front and 7 in the back, might plant some lettuce, swiss chard, multiplier onions, radishes, beans, as long as can get some seed.

View attachment 98450View attachment 98451 Black half barrels are what i put red annuals, type of a begonia, red flowers and red leaves. My happy place.
Oh. the memory. I had half barrels like those filled with flowers. Couple years ago my leg gave out, I fell, hit my face on the edge of one, fell of the barrel, rolled down a small embankment, and face planted myself on my gravel yard.

Had to army crawl to my deck, pull myself up the stairs until I got high enough to stand, paramedics, hospital, xrays, tore my face open, and five doctors later I still have a scar. Yup, lol, got rid of every one of those half barrels. But flowers do look pretty in them. šŸ¤£

With the garden centres being closed, we were having difficulty finding some vegetable seeds. Yesterday we found a general clothing / hardware / food store in a nearby town that had a large selection of seeds so Mrs. L was happy. Annoyingly, seeds, especially F1 Hybrid, are expensive here.

Weather forecast is good again today, so back into the garden and get some more digging / weeding done.

I put down some old newspapers , covered them with tarp .
Hope that burns off the grass & weeds.

Wonder how well that works, if it does let me know if anyone has tried it.

I have to make a new garden, new place and dread the big job of removing sod. Making a raised bed is soooo much easier.

Waiting now for the "call before you dig man" to come out and say where it is safe to dig.

Planted 3 raspberries plants yesterday. So much stuff I wanted to buy for the yard at our new house, so little money to buy stuff with šŸ¤£. Oh well, there is always next year. (Positive thinking šŸ˜)
Sigh - I so looked forward to browsing the landscaping places, picking out a few new treasures for my flower beds...but, I intend today to - ahem - redirect the neighbor's raspberries into my yard. They don't know they are there and the prickly branches are in my way when I mow (ouch!) ...but, the berries are delicious... I just need to train them a bit!

Thinking of planting onion sets.

I put down some old newspapers , covered them with tarp .
Hope that burns off the grass & weeds.

Biggest problem will be the deer that visit us nightly.
The newspaper and tarp will help, but you will still need to turn the soil a couple times. I don't think the deer will bother the onions - I have wild onions throughout the back and the deer walk right past them to eat my daylilies down to 3" stubs.

Wonder how well that works, if it does let me know if anyone has tried it.

I have to make a new garden, new place and dread the big job of removing sod. Making a raised bed is soooo much easier.

Waiting now for the "call before you dig man" to come out and say where it is safe to dig.
I don't know about Canada, but here (same thing - call before you dig) they told me that as long as I'm not digging down 3 feet, there is no problem. I'm thinking that they will tell you something similar. Gardening is so soothing - worth the effort, even if done in a pot!

They are large hardware stores that sell a variety of goods, they have been out of TP for weeks šŸ˜‚but not sure if they are considered a big box store like Costco, but I suppose it does not matter. Both have large garden centers, but even the grocery stores here sell a limited amount of plants and garden supplies.
yes they sound exactly like our large hardware stores ( who aren't as big as costco either)... they don't sell TP tho' ..but they do sell not only tools and wood, and paint, but they have garden centres attached where they sell bulbs., plants, and general garden stuff like sheds, paving, and fencing.. etc

With the garden centres being closed, we were having difficulty finding some vegetable seeds. Yesterday we found a general clothing / hardware / food store in a nearby town that had a large selection of seeds so Mrs. L was happy. Annoyingly, seeds, especially F1 Hybrid, are expensive here.
Hopefully you'll get good results from those seeds, but many times these type of stores have held onto those packet seeds for a very long time, and they don't usually germinate..even tho' they're in date, we've found this to our cost..

Back