Garlic, do you reek of it?

RadishRose

SF VIP
I can't imagine many foods without garlic.

My mother used it sparingly and not often. But at friend's houses I enjoyed it lot. My mother would roast a leg of lamb on a Sunday sometimes, inserting thinly sliced spikes of garlic throughout the surfaces.

Strangely, I'm not that fond of garlic on pizza.
I flavor my meatballs intensely with fresh pressed garlic and let them flavor the sauce.

Ever burn garlic in your oil? ugh.

How do you like to use garlic?

Spanish Garlic

Sometimes but I like cooking with it and I love Caesar salad . It’s crushed and added into stir fries along with grated ginger . It’s great in homemade spaghetti sauce, pesto sauce, marinades, lasagna, curries , soups, stews .....

I love garlic but make sure I don't eat it before I go out in public. I also carry those little Listerine wafers that you can dissolve on your tongue. After cooking with garlic I change my clothes. There have been times when my shirt smelled so bad I put it out on the porch until wash day. I also try to make items with garlic on a day I can open up all the windows.

I am Italian, so using garlic goes without saying. I love it, too, and believe it has health benefits. I don't use it to excess and I also use commercial garlic powder in recipes. I love smelling fresh garlic roasting in olive oil, but of course burned garlic tastes awful and gets bitter the same as burned onions. I mince garlic and add it to green salads maybe once a week, my mother said it killed bugs in your intestines.

I use garlic on almost everything. Granulated, chopped, sliced, pressed, you name it, I use it. Garlic and Turmeric are my go-to's. Rosemary is right up there, too. Then there's Oregano, Coriander and Cardamon. Cinnamon and Ginger are there, too.

A woman who can't stand garlic would never make it, with me. I guess many, many women really like garlic, as judged by my checkered past.

I use garlic on almost everything. Granulated, chopped, sliced, pressed, you name it, I use it. Garlic and Turmeric are my go-to's. Rosemary is right up there, too. Then there's Oregano, Coriander and Cardamon. Cinnamon and Ginger are there, too.

A woman who can't stand garlic would never make it, with me. I guess many, many women really like garlic, as judged by my checkered past.
Garlic also keeps away vampires, so those women feel safe with you. Haha!
I also love oregano and basil and need to start using ginger and turmeric.

I made a crunchy vegetable soup yesterday and the recipè said two cloves of crushed gatlic so on it went plus a bit more and ot proved too strong for me and spoilt the soup but will finish the big jug off.

One of my favorite dishes featuring garlic is linguini w/ white clam sauce.

My store sells fresh clams, minced. Those, with garlic slices sauteed in olive oil and some fresh parsley is just heaven.

Fresh garlic vinaigrette with dill is also a fav of mine.

One of my favorite dishes featuring garlic is linguini w/ white clam sauce.

My store sells fresh clams, minced. Those, with garlic slices sauteed in olive oil and some fresh parsley is just heaven.

Fresh garlic vinaigrette with dill is also a fav of mine.
The other night I watched one of my favorite chefs, Nick Stellino. He makes too many meat recipes, so I don't watch those, but otherwise I enjoy watching him because he's funny and proud that he's Italian. He even brags about how handsome he is and then laughs heartily. I think he's cute.

He made spaghetti without red sauce, sauteed lots of garlic in olive oil and added hot pepper flakes and other herbs, added cooked spaghetti, and then mixed in some grated cheese. I usually don't like spaghetti without red sauce, but his looked tempting.

An old friend of mine in CT started her own restaurant and was interviewed. She called the above dish "Spaghetti alla Puttanesca'' (spaghetti of loose women or prostitutes). My brother in law, deeply religious, was enraged about it. LOL I thought it was funny. Stellino did say it's a dish that poor people tended to make because it required very few ingredients.

th

The other night I watched one of my favorite chefs, Nick Stellino. He makes too many meat recipes, so I don't watch those, but otherwise I enjoy watching him because he's funny and proud that he's Italian. He even brags about how handsome he is and then laughs heartily. I think he's cute.

He made spaghetti without red sauce, sauteed lots of garlic in olive oil and added hot pepper flakes and other herbs, added cooked spaghetti, and then mixed in some grated cheese. I usually don't like spaghetti without red sauce, but his looked tempting.

An old friend of mine in CT started her own restaurant and was interviewed. She called the above dish "Spaghetti alla Puttanesca'' (spaghetti of loose women or prostitutes). My brother in law, deeply religious, was enraged about it. LOL I thought it was funny. Stellino did say it's a dish that poor people tended to make because it required very few ingredients.
I love puttanesca sauce, but the way I learned, it had to have anchovies melted into the olive oil, black olives and capers.

Nick Stellino!!! In the days before the Food Network, all the cooking programs were on PBS and Nick was one of the bunch. Yes, he was very handsome.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222000/spaghetti-aglio-e-olio/

I love puttanesca sauce, but the way I learned, it had to have anchovies melted into the olive oil, black olives and capers.

Nick Stellino!!! In the days before the Food Network, all the cooking programs were on PBS and Nick was one of the bunch. Yes, he was very handsome.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222000/spaghetti-aglio-e-olio/
YES, that was the recipe he made! I used to LOVE anchovies! I put 3-4 on two slices of bread, topped it with some lettuce, it was heavenly.

Love hummus, but haven't found the ''perfect recipe'' yet. Will have to look it up at Vitamix, or do you have a link?

The best hummus::

One can of Ziyad hummus, available at Mediterranean grocery stores. Add, to taste: Garlic, turmeric, lemon juice, olive oil, dill, chopped kalamata olives.

I literally just ate a whole can, minutes ago.

While I tend to be a purist, in prepping what I eat, the hassle of soaking garbanzos, cooking them, and then processing them with tahini, is an ordeal I happily give to Ziyad. Their cans contain only garbanzos, tahini, salt, water and citric acid. I'm cool with those natural ingredients.

Try my ingredients, as above. I guarantee you'll be glad you did!

Last edited:
Love hummus, but haven't found the ''perfect recipe'' yet. Will have to look it up at Vitamix, or do you have a link?
Here it is from their website. (I like a more-tangy hummus, so I add extra garlic & lemon) After I made it for Passover once, EVERYONE asks me to make it for ALL get-togethers.
Ingredients
  • 2 cans (900 g) chickpeas, liquid reserved from 1 can
  • ¼ cup (35 g) sesame seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Place chickpeas, liquid from 1 can of chickpeas, sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
  2. Select Variable 1.
  3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
  4. Blend 1 minute, using the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades.
  5. Season to taste with salt.

I love garlic, wish I reeked of it, keeps the bugs away. ;) I don't like it on pizza either. I use it in beans, tomato sauce/bolognaise, omelets every now and then. Also saute onions and garlic in olive oil cook scallops in it and serve over wide noodles, or do shrimp over spaghetti like that. I usually use crushed garlic in the glass jar or garlic powder, but if I feel a cold coming on I'll smash a fresh clove and eat it raw, haven't had to do that in years.

I do not use garlic frequestly, usually in sauce. I do have a funny garlic story from childhood. An Italian couple around the corner had a large garden. So, occasionally mom would give me a quarter and say "Go get me two heads of garlic". I would go to this guys house, knock on the door, hand him my quarter and he would come back with a little bag with the garlic in it.
For the longest time I was certain that the ONLY place you could get garlic was from this guys house. I always wondered why there was never a huge line of people waiting for garlic. Imagine my surprise when I went to the grocery store with my mom and there was garlic there. The old guy, by this time had died, so I wondered who was supplying the garlic.

Here it is from their website. (I like a more-tangy hummus, so I add extra garlic & lemon) After I made it for Passover once, EVERYONE asks me to make it for ALL get-togethers.
Thanks Win, I'm copying and printing it. Yours does not use tahini, which is good, that stuff is expensive.

TreeGuy, I rather cook my own garbanzos, I soak them overnight and cook for 1 1/2 hours. I'm retired, time I have plenty of. Is there a way you can give me some quantities, I know you're a chef, I'm not, measured ingredients is critical for me. I like that it uses turmeric. and I do have tahini on hand.

Thanks Win, I'm copying and printing it. Yours does not use tahini, which is good, that stuff is expensive.

TreeGuy, I rather cook my own garbanzos, I soak them overnight and cook for 1 1/2 hours. I'm retired, time I have plenty of. Is there a way you can give me some quantities, I know you're a chef, I'm not, measured ingredients is critical for me. I like that it uses turmeric. and I do have tahini on hand.
It does include 1/4 cup of sesame seeds instead. Probably tastes fresher than pre-ground sesame.

Back