Get a Laugh From My Lawnmower

Thanks for the advice, Don.

My front yard is on a knoll. Every year it seems to get steeper. By the time I finish, I feel like the guy in this photo. That's why I prefer a self-propelled, mulcher.

Yes, a self propelled mower is the Only way to go...especially as we get older. The Bolens mower you sent a picture of in an earlier post is a simple and basic push mower....not self propelled. To get a quality self propelled mower, you can expect to pay in the $350, or more price range. I would also recommend one with rear wheel drive....the front wheel drive mowers can be difficult to use..especially around trees, etc.

Debodun, A self propelled mower is definitely the only way to go. You’ll pay more for one but they truly are amazing. Yep! I’ve got a Honda Rear Wheel Drive and I just love it. We also have some steep hills and that is tough work. Since you are not getting any younger I’d take Dons advice and purchase one. His advice is spot on. You won’t regret getting one.
Parts on your old mower will be near impossible to get and possibly be obsolete now.
Good luck with your new purchase.

Last edited:
I am a wealthy woman of leisure. Seriously considering hiring someone to do this. Trouble is that I did get some estimates - the least expensive one was "$50 to do the front and I'll do the back lawn for another $40."; the most was $200 for both lawns (my lawns total approx. 1/4 acre). At this time of year I'd need it done at least once a week until the grass goes into its summer funk. That could add up quickly to several hundred dollars. For 50¢ worth of gasoline and 45 minutes of my time, I'd have a psychologically difficult time shelling out for it. Here is an aerial photo of my property (which is narrow but long) with the areas I mow outlined (front yard, side yard on north side of house, backyard, side by garage and a small area in front and to the south of the garage).

lawn.jpg

If you can afford $1000+ per year for yard work, that would be an option...plus, if you are getting up in years, having someone do that chore might save you some future health/injury problems. You might also ask around to see if there are any school kids who are willing to do yard work....but, given that most of them can't quit "texting" for more than a few minutes, that may be wishful thinking. Years ago, starting about age 13, I roamed all over the neighborhood on my bicycle, doing yard work for Seniors...they supplied the mower, and I supplied the labor...for 2 or 3 dollars a yard. Those days are probably long gone.

This is a side-view of my front lawn from the corner of the nearest cross-street. Probably only about a 5º slope, but on a hot summer day, it feels like 50º.

lot.jpg

Last year I tried starring at the bottom and going back and forth, working up towards the house, but having to make the sharp turns required put a strain on my left hip. Had to have a cortisone shot, better now, but it still twinges from time to time. This year I went back to mowing in a large rectangle, progressively smaller to the center of the lot.

pattern.jpg

I solved all those problems in 1987 when I bought a condo townhouse and gave away the mower. Haven't missed it yet.
Me too! For years I spent my entire weekend, mowing, edging and blowing the driveway clean. I enjoyed working in the yard then but I was in better health. Now I enjoy seeing the yard guys here each Tuesday keeping everything nice and clean.

I never give up on trying to fix anything and throwing it away is not in my vocabulary.

First of all. The bolt that holds that wheel on might be a left hand thread to keep it from coming off when you are pushing it.

The only way to find out is to see what is on the other end of that bolt and try to take that off first. It could be a nut. Or it could be threaded into the frame.

And the only way to release a stuck bolt is with penetrating oil, not WD-40 which is just a lubricant. You have to let it sit for awhile maybe even overnight.

That gear thing has to come off also. What it does is to allow the wheel only to go in one direction so if you are cutting a hill it won't slide back on you.

But first have a look on what is on the end of that bolt. If there is a nut, work on that. Something has to be holding that bolt.

You might not be able to find a replacement wheel exactly the same but you should be able to replace the wheel and still have the mower work.

The bolt only has three hatch marks on it, making it a grade 5. I would put the wrench on it and stand on it, or whack it with a hammer. You already have a broken mower,more broken don't make a difference. I don't understand the ratcheting mechanism, possibly a safety device to prevent rolling backwards.

I'm thinking it's a safety feature to keep you from pulling the mower backwards which is not recommended. There doesn't seem to be a safety guard on it like the modern mowers.

Back