God Forbid: Jerry Falwell Jr, Liberty University Political Sex Scandal.

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
Interesting documentary on Hulu.com depicting pool boy consensually hired by Jerry Falwell Jr and wife Becky Tilley. Not surprising this documentary is airing at election time.

I give it a (y)

People are people, but those with lots of money and power often go to more extremes than we could afford.

Never particularly liked Jerry Falwell, however it seems his son is in a completely different category...
Not surprising this documentary is airing at election time.
No, it isn't. Not that this should have anything to do with who we vote for. Don't think Jerry Jr is running for anything.

when you stand up in your church and denounce others, who are doing the same "sins" as you
Maybe it helps them to better understand...

I believe many of the televangelists are amoral and just do and say whatever they think will give them the most money and power.

No different from most politicians and other "talking heads". In the end its really our fault for listening...

I posted this as a comparison between politics and the religious Right who align themselves with god for credibility and support whatever their intention might be. God becomes a gateway of trust and devotion what better way to gain long term support and following?
Jerry Falwell Sr supported Ronald Reagan ticket the Morale Majority
Jerry Falwell Jr president of Liberty College close supporter of Donald Trump for president

Is it wrong to drop god’s name for posterity or personal gain? Where do you draw the line talking about god or does anyone need to talk about god at all?

When god is used either by public prayer or public events i question the motive by which god is being used?

I posted this as a comparison between politics and the religious Right
Although we tend to associate extremism with the right, Christian anyway, I am not sure that is completely true. I suspect extremism effects both right and left. This is an interesting study suggesting something similar:

Religion as an influencing factor of right-wing, left-wing and Islamist extremism. Findings of a Swiss youth study​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8211158/

I saw the singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester in a little club in Shreveport, LA just when the Swaggart thing happened. Jesse said from the stage,
"The man committed three sins. The motel was cheap, the champagne was domestic, and the woman was ugly."

The point being, I guess, that if you're going to sin, at least do it with style.
You may be right, however he was able to find a way to fame and fortune whilst maintaining some rationality. Unless you ask some gay folks anyway...

And even Billy wasn't perfect:

Divorce, drugs, drinking: Billy Graham’s children and their absent father​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lly-grahams-children-and-their-absent-father/

Interesting. I never paid any attention to the man, just thought he managed to stay out of trouble. Wrong again, I guess.

Jerry Jr was not the one doing the preaching. He was the one teaching your children. President and rule maker for Liberty University, the largest christian evangelical university in the US. When Daddy Falwell died, he left the preacher side of his legacy to one son, Jonathan, and the business side (Liberty University) to Jerry Jr.

Jonathan Falwell, brother to Jerry Jr is the pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church, a mega mega evangelical church in Lynchburg, Va and home of the Moral Majority, Falwell's political arm. Falwells have been heavily into killing Roe vs. Wade since it was passed.

Last edited:
Maybe for the best. I suspect few to none of our heroes would stand up to close examination.

Gandhi Was a Racist Who Forced Young Girls to Sleep in Bed with Him​

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ezj...o-forced-young-girls-to-sleep-in-bed-with-him

I've read that about Gandhi. I'm still a fan of Abe Lincoln, and of Jesus Christ (not in the evangelical sense).

There are a lot of other flawed heroes, from MLK to Winston Churchill, where the good outweighs the bad by a hundred to one.

I posted this as a comparison between politics and the religious Right who align themselves with god for credibility and support whatever their intention might be. God becomes a gateway of trust and devotion what better way to gain long term support and following?
Jerry Falwell Sr supported Ronald Reagan ticket the Morale Majority
Jerry Falwell Jr president of Liberty College close supporter of Donald Trump for president

Is it wrong to drop god’s name for posterity or personal gain? Where do you draw the line talking about god or does anyone need to talk about god at all?

When god is used either by public prayer or public events i question the motive by which god is being used?
Agreed. Politicians and religious entrepreneurs use God as a weapon and put all sorts of words into God's mouth, for their own personal gain.

Jerry Jr was not the one doing the preaching. He was the one teaching your children. President and rule maker for Liberty University, the largest christian evangelical university in the US. When Daddy Falwell died, he left the preacher side of his legacy to one son, Jonathan, and the business side (Liberty University) to Jerry Jr.

He sure as hell wasn't teaching my children!

I think it happens to a lot of people no matter what their status. It is big news when there is big $$$. The one I remember the most was Jimmy Swaggart's confession of his sin.

Jimmy Carter confessed he "lusted" in his heart, and was therefore guilty of sin.
An Oscar-Worthy Performance! And his dolt wife, feeling sorry for him. ROFLOL.

Back