Good and bad from the yard sale

I did sell the pressback rocking chair and the people paid the full price with no dickering.

dads_rocker2a.jpg

I did have a few casualties from the high wind on Monday. A lot of figurines got blown off the porch railing by a sudden 40 MPH gust. Some fell into the hedge and could be rescued. Two fell onto the porch an were broken beyond repair - a figurine of a dancing woman and a vase from Czechoslovakia.

dancing lady1.jpgCzech vase1.jpg

Sept 19th when we have our village-wide sale. Mine will largely depend on the weather. It's a comment on what people expect these days when they won't even take things out of the "free" box.

Oh boy, if only I could. The people across the street had a sale on Saturday and Sunday. I thought they were going to do it again on Monday because they left their tables out and just covered them. But Monday morning they came out and put everything away. Go figure. I went over there on Saturday and bought these items:

lamb shakers2.jpgparrot shakers1.jpgcow creamer1.jpg

I'm with you... one or two sales events like the one you put on, and that would be enough for me, too.

All of the setting up and taking down, that is a lot of work.

Oh boy, if only I could. The people across the street had a sale on Saturday and Sunday. I thought they were going to do it again on Monday because they left their tables out and just covered them. But Monday morning they came out and put everything away. Go figure. I went over there on Saturday and bought these items:

View attachment 121538View attachment 121539View attachment 121540
Holy smokes, Deb, you're going to need an addition on your home to store the vast collections of things you have!

I case anyone wanted to know, this is what I actually sold (most on Friday)

vintage metal candy box
basket
blackboard
kerosene fuel bottle
galvanized tubs and pails
lawn windmill
wicker fan
wooden plant stand
metal plant stand
old manual pull brass doorbell
metal container
rasp/file
mint/bonbon dish
floral pattern scalloped edge dish
2 mini crocks
wicker laundry basket
pressed glass banana boat
3 bottles
clothes rack
used assorted postage stamps
wristwatch bands
records
cast iron pot
another clothes rack
jigsaw puzzle
snack tray
braided rug
sapphire earrings
leather Kodak camera cover
Rubik's puzzle
a few Bibles
pressback rocking chair
plant
necklace
chain wrench
Wedgwood vase
perfume spritzer
box of old vacation home movies (my aunt's)
Pampered Chef bowl
souvenir plate
platter

and yet it seemed when I packed it up, there was just as much.

I case anyone wanted to know, this is what I actually sold (most on Friday)

vintage metal candy box
basket
blackboard
kerosene fuel bottle
galvanized tubs and pails
lawn windmill
wicker fan
wooden plant stand
metal plant stand
old manual pull brass doorbell
metal container
rasp/file
mint/bonbon dish
floral pattern scalloped edge dish
2 mini crocks
wicker laundry basket
pressed glass banana boat
3 bottles
clothes rack
used assorted postage stamps
wristwatch bands
records
cast iron pot
another clothes rack
jigsaw puzzle
snack tray
braided rug
sapphire earrings
leather Kodak camera cover
Rubik's puzzle
a few Bibles
pressback rocking chair
plant
necklace
chain wrench
Wedgwood vase
perfume spritzer
box of old vacation home movies (my aunt's)
Pampered Chef bowl
souvenir plate
platter

and yet it seemed when I packed it up, there was just as much.
Wow! Job well done!

I am so proud of you!

I just put out the garbage for pickup tomorrow and found some eggs smashed at the end of the driveway. They've been theer a while - all dried out. Don't know if it is just some youthful hijinks because school starts next week, or somebody miffed that I would sell something for 90% off the asking price at my yard sale. Didn't see any smashed eggs in any neighbor's property.

One thing I though would sell was a lace tablecloth. I didn't even see anyone look at it. One thing that is going to the city mission is woman's clothes. They are a pain for me to have to string a line to hang them and lug them out and one one even looks at them. There's a man in church that works there and he can take them there for me so I don't have to go to Albany.

1a.jpg

One thing I though would sell was a lace tablecloth. I didn't even see anyone look at it. One thing that is going to the city mission is woman's clothes. They are a pain for me to have to string a line to hang them and lug them out and one one even looks at them. There's a man in church that works there and he can take them there for me so I don't have to go to Albany.

View attachment 121570
Tablecloth looks gorgeous, Deb!

It seems like the most popular items were for exterior decorations.

Many people don’t even want a formal dining room any more. Too bad about the tablecloth. A creative person might find other uses for it.

Someone that stopped said it's illegal to sell upholstered furniture. I have no idea if this is true or not. Sometimes people from out-of-state stop and the regulations may different there. I think a lot of people are just concerned about bugs (fleas and bedbugs in particular). I can say my items are bug-free, but that doesn't convince people. I thought this antique chair would be snapped up. A few looked casually at it as they passed, but no real interest. The seat upholstery is fairly new.

chair.jpg

Someone that stopped said it's illegal to sell upholstered furniture. I have no idea if this is true or not. Sometimes people from out-of-state stop and the regulations may different there. I think a lot of people are just concerned about bugs (fleas and bedbugs in particular). I can say my items are bug-free, but that doesn't convince people. I thought this antique chair would be snapped up. A few looked casually at it as they passed, but no real interest. The seat upholstery is fairly new.

View attachment 121696
We have a chair almost identical to yours, with a green velvet seat. It belonged to my late in-law's family. We'll be donating it to Goodwill along with another antique chair of theirs.

View attachment 121696
I'm equally surprised that wonderful armchair wasn't snapped-up!

What a beauty!

Back