Good Senior Centers in or near Phoenix or Tucson

Brookswood

It looks like I may be moving to Arizona. I have close family in both the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas. So, I have to make a choice as to where I will live. One thing I value is having a good senior center closeby. I have found that a good center helps with making friends and keeping active.

I would like to hear from those of you who live near either city in regards to how you feel about any of the senior centers there.

Thanks.

We lived in Sun City West for a time and there were over 100 clubs, groups and activities that kept us busy. They are for SCW residents only.

There a number of similar communities in the area with similar activities.

We lived in Sun City West for a time and there were over 100 clubs, groups and activities that kept us busy. They are for SCW residents only.

There a number of similar communities in the area with similar activities.
Thank you. Alas, I have not plans to live in Sun City West (or North, South and East), so I can't avail myself of the facilities.

I am looking for senior centers that are open to all residents of the area. Surely, there must be some good ones that people belong to.

I don't know much about either Phoenix or Tucson, but if possible, don't move to an area that is more of a university or college town; that's where I live and the services for seniors stinks; everything's geared more to the college kids and 20-somethings.

unbelievable that you have not gotten an earlier reply. I just discovered your question. for many years before covid the Red Mountain Senior Center in Mesa was one of the best in the United States in my opinion based on 20 years of my visits. The central Mesa Senior Center was also good, but not as dynamic. I have heard they haven't come back to previous activity levels, but I would be there now to give a better report if hadnt broken my arm on ice it a less desirable state to live in. Most of the other Phoenix suburbs also had very good senior centers. Apache Junction was not real good because of lack of funding, I think, but it was active. Look for Glendale etc. The libraries Especially Mesa were also good senior facilities. I have rabble-roused other senior centers in other states back into operation, but seniors are not vocal enough to get senior centers fully back into operation ! ! The politicians, in my opinion pumped to much fear into senior women.

dont really agree with your generalization Officer Riply. I know of 2 situations where colleges aid the senior centers. Biggest issue I see right now is not enough seniors banging drums to get the senior centers back into full operation. Pound on the politicians for funding! ask the centers to do more activities !

I have rabble-roused other senior centers in other states back into operation, but seniors are not vocal enough to get senior centers fully back into operation ! ! The politicians, in my opinion pumped to much fear into senior women.
Thank you for your suggestions. I greatly appreciate them.
I know what you mean regarding getting senior centers going again. My city's senior center is a shadow of its pre-covid self. Thankfully, in my current area there is a more regional center that is big and bustling with all sorts of places to hang out, and a variety of people to interact with. I would love to find a similar one in either Phoenix or Tucson.

I live in the NE part of Phoenix and there are 2 senior centers close by me. Both seem to be doing well recovering from being down for so long. One is very close to a community college (Paradise Valley Community College) and PVCC works with the senior center to offer courses and such for seniors also. Mesa and Scottsdale also have senior based centers that I have heard are good (as was mentioned above) . I also know that Surprise has a couple of senior centers and it is a very popular destination for those retiring. It is a nice area but I don't go to that area much except for Spring Training games as it is too close to the Sun City area. I try to avoid that area as much as possible.

Last edited:
This is a follow-up of my previous post regarding senior centers, based on my single male snowbird experience in the Phoenix area for many of the last 22 years. I was last there in early March 2020, before covid. I am coming back.

Like all American cities Phoenix has its single family and apartment residential areas and residents of these are certainly potential users of senior centers. But, something many outsiders don't know about are the hundreds of 55plus parks and communities in the Phoenix area. Many of them have such things as clubhouses, recreation and walking areas , racquet ball courts, libraries, and sometimes pool and hot tubs. And usually, friendly residents. Why don't we forum users know about that? Perhaps because the residents are outside enjoying their communities and don't have time or interest to post on internet forums (Did I say that?). yes a few 55+ communities ( such as Sun City and Tower Point, for example) have 18 hole golf courses, 7000 sq. ft. dance floors, internal beauty shops and businesses, hobby shops, and more, but far from all have that.

55+ ownership ranges from owning your own land and dwelling inside a 55+ community or park to renting your "space" inside a 55+park with your "owned" trailer, park model, or house on it. Again there are hundreds of such 55+ parks and communities in the huge Phoenix metropolitan area, so a newcomer can search for the one that suits their economic, comfort, and desired activities. I mention these 55+ situations as an alternative to social and activity alternates or supplements to senior centers. Having both is . . . . BTW 55+ does mean ownership and residency is limited to seniors with occasionally limited exceptions.

Back