Got a call from a Collection agency today

Until the estate is cleared and closed there could be 'an' issue. But you do NOT owe the money the estate does. In the end once closed his debt that is unpayable will be that. Make sure every dime is spent before closing the estate.
I was told I have to keep the account open for 15 months. There is so little in the account, there will be no issue with spending it up.

Until the estate is cleared and closed there could be 'an' issue. But you do NOT owe the money the estate does. In the end once closed his debt that is unpayable will be that. Make sure every dime is spent before closing the estate.

Again, depends on state law. Also the majority of "estates" never go through probate at all, if things are set up with that in mind. Assets simply pass by operation of law and no probate is required. I've set up my assets in that way. My mother and father did also. No probate was required in their estates and none will be required after I die. Unless you have a large and/or complicated estate an attorney can help you do this inexpensively and simply, without your having to give up control of your assets before your death.

Probate is an expensive and unnecessary hassle for most people.

Again, depends on state law. Also the majority of "estates" never go through probate at all, if things are set up with that in mind. Assets simply pass by operation of law and no probate is required. I've set up my assets in that way. My mother and father did also. No probate was required in their estates and none will be required after I die. Unless you have a large and/or complicated estate an attorney can help you do this inexpensively and simply, without your having to give up control of your assets before your death.

Probate is an expensive and unnecessary hassle for most people.

Here in this state I know the heir who didn't inherit money just personal stuff like clothes, books, some tools etc just told the bill collectors the deceased passed, had no money when he died and they were not going to pay his bills and bill collectors went away. Also I heard if there are heirs from different states regardless of will & beneficiaries that could turn an estate into a mess. She also found paperwork from a inactive business and tried to tell unless your name in on that business or in a will don't worry about preserving records for a business that hasn't been active for almost a decade.

Constantly learning something new about why health care in America costs so much.
Yesterday I got an invoice from a collection agency for $24.00. Naturally I checked to see if this was a legitimate company & not a scam. It is. I called to ask what the invoice was for. The rest just amazes me.

This was for the unpaid balance for a shoulder brace billed to Medicare back in early April of 2018. The bill total was $289.00. I didn't get a brace I got a cloth arm sling that can be bought online for $20.00.

Fraud was my 1st. thought so I called the insurance provider. What a surprise!!! Seems the cloth sling provider can charge whatever they want but the insurance carrier will pay only what they set as a payment. Anything above that set amount the patient is responsible for. I guess I should feel lucky they didn't charge $400.00.

I doubt my wanting accountability for exorbitant pricing will be investigated & I will have to pay the collection agency. The only satisfaction I'll get is voicing a complaint.

First, make certain who is calling you is legitimate especially if they persist. No more phone calls from them rather, insist on emails or hard copy letters and save them for your records.
Yes, if you have any question about the validity of a call like that then tell them to send you a bill and you'll call them back. There are a lot of people out there who will actually try to 'collect' money from family of someone who is recently deceased. My sister recently died of a rare type of cancer and, even with the excellent insurance coverage she still has medical bills that I, as the executor, have to handle. The first month I just threw the bills in a folder, didn't even open them. The second month I'd get a bill I'd match it with the previous bill, call the medical group and let them know she had passed away. She had no money left, just her car and bank account which was below $1,000.

Collections people, I like when they call lol Got a running bet with a friend on how fast we can get them yelling.
My buddy is in the lead at 4 minutes lol

Back