Gov. Abbott signs bill allowing pooches on restaurant patios

RadishRose

SF VIP
My dog would go insane! How about yours? Time to brag!

Houston and Texas' restaurant scene will become more dog-friendly starting in Sept. thanks to a new bill signed by Gov. Greg Abbott.

Senate Bill 476, also known as the Fido-Friendly Outdoor Dining Act, was signed into law by Gov. Abbott June 4, according to the Texas Legislature webs

Headed by Sen. Kelly Hancock (R-North Richland Hills), the bill allows owners to dine with their well-behaved dogs at outdoor areas and patios at participating restaurants statewide.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/...ill-signed-Abbott-13968062.php#photo-17166955

1024x1024.jpg

It’s a grand idea.
Why not?
They are family to some of us.

Note: as long as they are well behaved and not tripping waitresses or begging from others

I love all dogs but this is really not necessary and will absolutely cause trouble. GUARANTEED

I feel the same. The first week it goes into effect, there will be a local news story of a major dog fight at some restaurant or some other trouble. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's a nice idea for those who want to do it, my dog is well behaved but he'd definitely be interested in the other dogs around him and some dogs, even when we're out walking with him on a leash, are not so friendly when they get nose to nose. I brought my dog into the pet store twice in his life, and he's almost 4yrs. old, I'd rather leave him home than drag him around with me, hard to do other things and still attend to your dog. But I do love dogs and would get a kick myself at being surrounded by them at an eatery as long as they had no digestive 'disturbances'. :playful:

Frankly I don't know why this needs to be an issue of state government. Don't they have more important things to be legislating? I'd prefer that each municipality have their own rules, based on the Health Department. I love dogs but I'd rather eat without a bunch of strange animals walking around. I suppose next the cat people and the "emotional support" losers will want their own laws, too.

Last edited:
I witnessed a perfectly loving dog lunge at a baby in its crib and bit it in the face. I was bitten for no reason when I was nine. Dogs are dogs, not people.

You are absolutely right about that fmdog. Our media yesterday reported a man found dead in his home. He had been savaged by his dog after (or while) having an epileptic fit. His injuries were very extensive.

I don't want or like it. I'm sure it's not a every day event but on the rare occasion when one of the dogs takes a big dump right next to my table, it's gag time.

As long as its outside and not inside. All they need is for one person to get bitten and then its lawsuit time for the restaurant and the dog's owner! I would not blame them a bit.

The Brits on this forum know that this is pretty standard all over the UK. I'm a dog lover, but wife and I are well aware a lot of people are not, so we don't support this bill. As a dog lover, yeah, I'd love to go pet the pups, but it still isn't right imho.

All the pros and cons are valid, imo. My little dog would be all over everyone begging to be petted, so me constantly holding her back would be a con for everyone.

But I would go without her, just to enjoy watching the others!

That would be my issue too. Lil'Bear thinks that everyone is his friend, and he would not leave other people alone for a minute.

Back