Grab your siblings and hug them tight don't take them granted they are a gift from heaven!

Barneyhill

This time of year always hits me kind of hard I often wonder what it would have like if I had been granted privilege of growing up with my sisters and brothers. It comes under The forever lost age of my siblings" I will never know what it would been like to sit down with them for a delicious meal at Thanksgiving or unwrapping Christmas presents with them under a cheery and decorated Christmas tree.

We grew up in separate homes while our parents and grandparents fought like the Hatfield and McCoys at some points of their inter battles they even resembled the alien creatures from the "War of the Worlds"
While my siblings and I watched sadly from sidelines at this horrible family mess.

I am not going to details it's Sunday and I don't want to ruin any good mood many of you may be in. But I will say this to all of you if you have brothers and sisters love them hug them if they live far away call them and tell them you love and appreciate that are a part of your life. Don't take them for granted They are great blessing from God. LOVE THEM TO DEATH. Enjoy your day and may peace be with you

I have two older sisters (72 & 78) and love them both to death. Although we've always had good relationships, we've gotten much closer since our parents died -- 2000 and 2002.

Life does not go on forever, you have to make the best of the time you have left. (Although I'm sure this isn't news to anybody on this forum)

I am an only child never had siblings and quite frankly it never bothered me as I grew up. I had lots of cousins 1st 2nd and 3rd and was close to a few of the 1st cousins into my later years but two close ones who were sisters died a couple of years ago snd this upset me alot as we grew up together in a close family environment.

After my Husband died a few years ago I started to wish had a good loving Brother or Sister or more who I could turn to for support and kindness and me to them in a time of need.

I realise that many siblings are great but many are not and it must be dreadful if the latter is the case.

Did you call your siblings, Barney? Did you tell them what you told us?
I am sorry I took so long to answer I didn't think I would get any responses.
Yes I tell my sister for thanksgiving I sent her online musical greeting card. I can't undo the damage my parents and grandparents did to our family line.
Would you believe I have no idea what my maternal grandmother looks like and I only saw one photo of my paternal grandfather and that one he sent to my maternal grandmother when he was in his 70's.
My siblings and I had be the sideline onlookers of a terrible feud between two families they as adults had no concern of how it kept my siblings and I apart.
I can't go back in time and undo what the grownups did to us but I try my hardest to make up for it now. I send flowers to my sister on her birthdays and if she needs financial aid I western union cash to her my younger brothers developed mental disability in his early 20's but he has done very well about living the key of surviving yes whenever it is necessary I send funding to him along with gifts.

I don't live in the same city with my siblings but I keep in touch. I tell them I love them.
Thank god for the internet because I use Facebook messenger and video phone to communicate with them.
Their lives have been such a struggle because we didn't have very nice parents or grandparents to help guide them. That too was out of my control I wish I had the power to rearrange the family heads. I would tell God not to let us be born through these selfish heartless people.

My baby brother died at age 38 he died from severe hemorrhaging after suffering an epileptic seizure.

I will tell you this one last thing my sister is 62 years old now. When she was 50 years old I called her to tell her our aunt had died and I said "if you want to see your father you better get to the funeral it will be the last time you will ever see him in our part of the country because most of our family has died away and he won't be coming back to the Midwest".
She went to the funeral she had to ask one of our cousins to point out her dad. She told me later that she walked up behind our father and tapped on the back and asked "Do you know who I am?" he said no, she said I AM YOUR DAUGTHER! My sister said the whole room gasped and then fell silent because he never mentioned my sister existed to many people.
My sister was about 2 years old when my parents parted and my father never tried to contact her or my brothers again no pictures or letters or telephone calls.
The only reason I had a chance to see or talk to him is because I grew up with his mother,
I only saw him six times in person because he relocated to California when I was 6 years old he didn't come back to visit over years very often. I remember one of those visits asking him if he was going to see my other sister and brothers he rolled his eyes and waved away his hand while saying Nah, I ain't thinking about them!

So you see what I mean yes I am trying now my best to keep in touch with my siblings I didn't post a false thread to you. I am just trying to tell all of you if you were blessed to grow up in a stable family unit. Be thankful and be loving to your family.

Last edited:
Barneyhill, I'm sorry you had such a hard childhood and so many rough ruts in the road as you grew up. I've met several people in similar situations and it has left them bitter and angry. So I understand your need to tell your siblings how much you care and you should all remind each other at every chance. It helps you and your siblings. It helps to keep the bad memories in the past and make happy ones with the time you have left on this earth. I see you've only been on the forum for a short time. I joined in September so I'm a newbie too. The people in this community have really been supportive of me and I think you'll find some great friends here. We all need to collect new memories and meet new people. It helps give a different perspective on life sometimes. We never know what will happen tomorrow.

Good God If I ever get started there would be no room for posts. Reminds me my daughters half- brother mother is related to the Hafields, umm, that is her maiden name, Janet Hatfield. So, the story gets like actually, the War of the Roses. My mother once told me, that I should write a book. I don't need to watch cable or soap operas, my life has been a war zone. I am the oldest of seven sisters and one brother. I remember a Xmas tree. A birthday. Drive-ins, a beach, umm, that's all folks. We all had clean underwear. Where my best friend was brought up with none. I do remember a bike at twelve. Roller skates at six. Alone daily and night. Mother passed on at 71, father at 53 both heart attacks. I like reading what others do that are alone, or never had sisters or brothers.
What is a routine for living alone? What do you do with all that time.? I have said enough, now, I will try to sleep. Not too exciting here.
Looking at no tree again. How was Thanksgiving? My daughters do not want to hear it. Estranged to the max.

Barneyhill, I'm sorry you had such a hard childhood and so many rough ruts in the road as you grew up. I've met several people in similar situations and it has left them bitter and angry. So I understand your need to tell your siblings how much you care and you should all remind each other at every chance. It helps you and your siblings. It helps to keep the bad memories in the past and make happy ones with the time you have left on this earth. I see you've only been on the forum for a short time. I joined in September so I'm a newbie too. The people in this community have really been supportive of me and I think you'll find some great friends here. We all need to collect new memories and meet new people. It helps give a different perspective on life sometimes. We never know what will happen tomorrow.
Thank you for your understanding and kindness. Yes I have had to face some rough spots in life but it's no need to be bitter. I just have a lot of pride I developed that as a child if I find out you don't care for me I just pack up and move on. That's all.
Yes, I am new here and the people here are very nice. Some of them have strong opinions and will just tell you how they feel about certain subjects but it's not done in a way to insult you. This is probably one the best forums I seen in a while. You seem nice also. Thanks once more for your wise and supportive words.

Thank you @Barneyhill You are sweet and kind and caring to take the time to tell us this profound cautionary tale that reminds us all to love one another, appreciate them, be supportive of them, and above all to be mindful to show our love...especially to those who share the same blood running through their veins.

I have 2 sisters and they are wonderful, but since the loss of my mother in 2016 we haven't been in touch as much. I will call them today and remind them how much I love and appreciate them. I'll invite the one that lives near me for Thanksmas and if she comes I'll give her a hug ❤

Thank you Barney. Your words and video were very touching 🙏

Last edited:
Well, my brother is an ass. We were almost 5 years apart, and growing up we were never close. My parents idolized him, and I always felt like an afterthought. He grew into adulthood with a tremendous sense of entitlement, and it has not served him well. He thinks everyone loves him, but that's just not the case. When my mother was ill, I went to the doctor with her and my brother. Brother kept calling the doctor by his first name, as though they were best buds. It clearly annoyed the doc, but brother kept doing it. Another time, my husband was in the grocery store with brother. Brother saw someone he knew, and that someone immediately turned around and scurried away. DH said it was stunning, but brother didn't seem to notice. And finally, after my mother died, and then my father, he managed to cheat me of a few thousand dollars of inheritance each time. It wasn't the money (which he didn't need, but I don't either) but it was the idea that he did it, and justified it to himself. I don't need that kind of pettiness in my life. I haven't seen or spoken to him in years. As I said, we were never close.

Back