Grain-Free Pet Food

RadishRose

SF VIP
I myself, have wondered why grain-free.

This article is interesting-

Please Stop Buying Your Pets Grain-Free Food

Veterinarians are increasingly concerned about health risks posed by the grain-free pet-food craze.

Unfortunately, these foods are not just a waste of money. There is increasing concern among veterinarians that certain grain-free diets pose specific health risks to dogs, especially when they consume such a diet long-term. In July, the FDA released a statement that it was investigating a series of reports that grain-free dog food may be linked to a lethal heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), in which the heart becomes enlarged and ineffective at circulating blood.

DCM is a heritable disease, more common in certain breeds like Doberman pinschers. So when DCM began showing up in breeds like golden retrievers that do not have a known genetic predisposition for the disease, veterinarians took notice and found a troubling prevalence of grain-free diets among these cases. While no cause-and-effect relationship has yet been established (a multifactorial relationship is likely at play), the findings are still concerning enough that they have changed the conversations veterinarians are having with clients.

The attractiveness of these products is more likely the result of good marketing, not sound science.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/01/stop-buying-grain-free-food-for-your-pets.html

You know, I wouldn't have thought grain-free was bad but glad I heard about this before I ever switched over. I asked my vet about a particular brand and she said, "Is it grain-free?" So obviously she knew too.

But then I'm wary of buying moist food because it seems they're always adding things to make our babies sick in those, too.

Back