Granddaughter turns 5 soon -- What should I get her?

Tony Del

My granddaughter turns 5 next month. Normally I just buy what her parents tell me, but this year I told them I'm getting her whatever I want to get her! And now I realized I have no idea what to get a 5 year old girl. She loves books and coloring and has a few favorite toys/dolls.

Since I've finally gotten my son and daughter in law to give me free reign, I need to come up with something good. The last thing I want to hear is, "Dad, next time just let us tell you what to get her so you don't waste your money on something she doesn't need/like/want"

I just want to give her a gift that tells her we love her, not just a thing that she wants. Any suggestions? I've been trying to think of toys my sisters like when they were five, but that is a long time ago and my memory is not that good...

Does it have to be a toy ? If she’s a ‘girly’ girl, how about a tiny piece of jewellery or a small handbag with a shopping voucher tucked inside, or, a selection of arts/craft toys and also a shopping voucher

I’m sure your granddaughter will love whatever you choose, good luck ! :)

A tiny heart necklace for her to wear on special occasions. I remember having a little jewelry box I'd wind it up, open up the top, and a tiny ballerina twirled around while a pretty tune played.

They still sell them. Amazon has many choices with different tunes and various prices from 18-30 dollars. This one is playing "Swan Lake" but I saw the "Nutcracker" and "It's a Small World" also.

Give her your time, plan a day on the town doing the things that she enjoys doing and eating the things that she enjoys, maybe a little shopping mixed in.

Turn it into a photo shoot and give her an inexpensive digital frame or photo album with the days pictures, make sure to keep a copy for yourselves.

I suppose I don't see the problem with letting the parents give me some hints. I'd want my little granddaughter to be happy with her gift. I have a 5-year old granddaughter and she is obsessed with mermaids, so I recently sent her a mermaid Barbie doll and a blanket made like a mermaid's tail that she can "wear". She had also wished for a pair of Ugg boots and I sent her those, too. Knowing what she wanted made it easy.

If your grand daughter likes art maybe she would like one of those kits that has clay and a few water colors included. She would need an adult to help her. You just flatten out the clay and she presses her hand in the clay,it makes an impression and with help she can print her name and date and paint it . Let dry to harden. Makes a nice keepsake.

Back