Grandkids - No more Xmas Gifts

I agree with you StarSong 100% on this. And it's possible to give to the grand kids and the caregivers both. Even if it means cutting the grandchildren's checks to $25 dollars and buying the caregivers each a Whitmens Sampler for $5.98.
I agree with appreciating those who care for our loved ones and being generous with them as we are able. At the same time it's important to bear in mind the very nature of 99.9% of those relationships. They are quite intimate, yes, but only temporarily so. When we no longer need their services these loving caregivers soon drift out of our lives and newly focus on the lives of other families.

Family can be forever when we nurture those relationships. That's why I advise Jackie to invest not only in her mother but in her children and grandchildren.

Last edited:
I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion.

First of all, I don't give gifts because of who the recipient is, but rather because of who I am. If folks don't send thank you notes, it doesn't bother me a bit. Nobody receives $50 without feeling good about it, which would be thanks enough for me because, after all, that's why I'd be sending it.

When my time in this life is done I want my grandkids to think of me fondly - to know that I always remembered them, even at times in their lives when they forgot to remember me. I want them to know that love and generosity aren't always conditional. Just as there were some folks in my earlier years who I didn't properly acknowledge at the time that they offered kindnesses to me, I know my grands aren't always going to "properly" appreciate me.

Here's a thought... If you haven't seen your grands in six years - since they were in their teens - isn't it time you made some arrangements for your mom and hauled yourself to Ohio for a visit? (If you wound up in the hospital for an injury or illness you'd have to make arrangements for her, so it's not impossible to do so.) Be more to them than a check every Christmas and perhaps they'll be more to you than an endorsement on the back of a check.

What I read between the lines of your posts is love, hurt and anger. My family has had a saying for a long time. 90% of life is just showing up. If you want to resolve that unfulfilled love, put a balm on the hurt, and soothe the anger, get thee to Ohio and show your grandkids that they're worth more of an effort to you than a $50 check at Christmas. Re-engage and meet them where they are. Text them, email them, whatever.

p.s. This isn't intended to be harsh or judgmental. I'm just trying to point out that your grands likely see this from an entirely different perspective. You have time to fix it. Ultimately, unless I miss my guess, what you want is a relationship with these kids.
I appreciate your point of view and the lovely thoughts and suggestions. "Haul myself to Ohio" would be wonderful if possible. Unfortunately I am POA for my mother and there is not another living soul that can be responsible for her - no family left and certainly no one that is friend to her. I have made inquiries with the home she lives at and they can not be responsible for her hospitals stays and make decisions and she's had 5 stays in 6 years. So yes, I would love to give the responsibility to someone else for a short period if time. FYI...if I did have to be in the hospital myself, that is something that is beyond my control. I'm sure the majority of folks think I take my responsibility for my mom too seriously, but it is the way I would want to be treated and hopefully when she passes I will know I did what was in her best interest with love.

Thanks again for your suggestions and I wish you all a wonderful Christmas season. BTW - I did send them cards and text and video periodically. I'm not completely void of day-to-day family love.

I applaud your action. I've cut way back on the gift giving because most recipients of my largesse don't seem to appreciate it. When I discontinued, I didn't get any negative feedback, or any feedback for that matter (which speaks volumes in itself). Maybe some people feel cash is impersonal - just my theory. However, if you'd like to send me $50, I would appreciate that! LOL

I agree with appreciating those who care for our loved ones and being generous with them as we are able. At the same time it's important to bear in mind the very nature of 99.9% of those relationships. They are quite intimate, yes, but only temporarily so. When we no longer need their services these loving caregivers soon drift out of our lives and newly focus on the lives of other families.

Family can be forever when we nurture those relationships. That's why I advise Jackie to invest not only in her mother but in her children and grandchildren.
When we nurture and how does one do that when Ohio is too busy to care??????

Back