Groundhog Day! :)

Ruthanne

SF VIP
tenor.gif

All of my life, I've always said that the logic of Groundhog Day is bass ackwards: If the animal sees his shadow, that should mean that the sun is out, and an early Spring is coming, and vice versa, with an extended Winter. Turns out, he'd have a winning record, interpreting it my way. As it stands, he had a losing record, last time I checked.

All of my life, I've always said that the logic of Groundhog Day is bass ackwards: If the animal sees his shadow, that should mean that the sun is out, and an early Spring is coming, and vice versa, with an extended Winter. Turns out, he'd have a winning record, interpreting it my way. As it stands, he had a losing record, last time I checked.
Sorry I don't get it🤓

Sorry I don't get it🤓
The "rules," as they stand, are that if he sees his shadow, winter will drag on. If he doesn't, an early spring is coming.

In my book, if he sees his shadow, the sun is shining, and that goes along, better, with an early spring. No shadow, no sun, winter is dragging on.

Historically, he has a losing record. If he used my rules, bingo, he has a winning record!

The "rules," as they stand, are that if he sees his shadow, winter will drag on. If he doesn't, an early spring is coming.

In my book, if he sees his shadow, the sun is shining, and that goes along, better, with an early spring. No shadow, no sun, winter is dragging on.

Historically, he has a losing record. If he used my rules, bingo, he has a winning record!
I understand now, thanks! So the groundhog is a big winner! :love: 💜 (y) 🌺

First Groundhog Day
"The first official Groundhog Day celebration took place on February 2, 1887, in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. It was the brainchild of local newspaper editor Clymer Freas, who sold a group of businessmen and groundhog hunters—known collectively as the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club—on the idea."

Religious Beginnings

"The roots of Groundhog Day go all the way back to a different celebration, the Christian feast day of Candlemas. On February 2, Christians traditionally bring candles to their local church to be blessed, which in turn bring light and warmth to the home for the remainder of winter."

"At some point, a Candlemas folk song appeared in England that added the element of weather forecast to the holiday:

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Come, Winter, have another flight;
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,
Go Winter, and come not again."

"Due to the song, the connection between Candlemas and the beginning of spring spread across all of Europe, but still without any connection to an animal."

Introduction of the Groundhog

"Germany created its own interpretation of Candlemas and incorporated small hibernating animals into the lore, such as hedgehogs. If a hedgehog emerged on February 2 and saw its own shadow, there would be six more weeks of cold weather. If it didn't see its own shadow, then spring would come early."

"As early German immigrants arrived in America and settled in what is now Pennsylvania, Candlemas is just one of the many customs they brought with them. Because hedgehogs are native to Europe and don't exist in the wild in North America, the German settlers searched for another burrowing animal in the area to consult and found the groundhog."

An excerpt from the book I'm writing about my childhood. The characters are my parents. This is all true.

Carla looked like a groundhog. That’s just the way it was. There always seemed to be something about her that you just couldn’t put your finger on until Cal announced one day,

“Ya know, Jeanne, I think your mother looks like a groundhog.”
“My stepmother,” she replied! “…and no, she doesn’t either.”
“She sure as hell does…she has that groundhog shape, her nose is like this (he pushed his nose flat with his index finger) and those beady little eyes…exactly!” I wouldn’t be surprised if she even has a little furry tail. Has anybody ever checked?”
“Cal, that’s awful,” she said smiling. Well, maybe you’re right. Yeah, I guess she does look a little “groundhog-ish,” come to think of it,” laughing.

Everyone who was given an opportunity to “think of it” agreed. Jeanne called her Carla, I called her Grandmom, but from the day of the big groundhog epiphany, Cal referred to her as “Gramhog,” and grinned each time he said it. Every February 2nd, you could count on him to ask in mock seriousness, “I wonder if Carla saw her shadow?”

Back