Growing my Medicine

I have read that one of the best ways to use cannabis for pain and healing is to use the leaves, preferably fresh, and in a green smoothie. For making the smoothie with the leaves, it does not have to be the selective hybrids like you use to get high with and smoke, and I think that most of the benefits can come from regular old hemp plants.
Because hemp was grown (and encouraged as a crop by the government) until after WW2, there are apparently a lot of places in the Midwest where hemp plants still grow wild. These probably would not be what a person wanted for smoking it to get high, but should still have a lot of the beneficial enzymes for healing in the leaves.
It is not legal here in Alabama, but if it were legal here, I would try growing some just to use the leaves as a healing plant.

The fan leaves have a lot of cannabinoids in them and are great for making tea but can be used in smoothies and have exceptional healing qualities to them.

We have hemp farms all around us which is pretty cool. The only drawback is that they have the ability to pollinate my plants. So far it’s not too bad. I get the odd seed now and then but nothing completely goes to seed.

Last edited:
I have read that one of the best ways to use cannabis for pain and healing is to use the leaves, preferably fresh, and in a green smoothie. For making the smoothie with the leaves, it does not have to be the selective hybrids like you use to get high with and smoke, and I think that most of the benefits can come from regular old hemp plants.
Because hemp was grown (and encouraged as a crop by the government) until after WW2, there are apparently a lot of places in the Midwest where hemp plants still grow wild. These probably would not be what a person wanted for smoking it to get high, but should still have a lot of the beneficial enzymes for healing in the leaves.
It is not legal here in Alabama, but if it were legal here, I would try growing some just to use the leaves as a healing plant.
Wish I could share

539A9E79-1243-4CA1-85E2-55CA6E67213D.jpeg

Hahaha. You either purchase seeds or make your own. If you are going to purchase seeds, you are best off buying feminized seeds which guarantees female plants or plants with no balls to be specific.

You put the seeds in some damp paper towels until they crack and sprout. You then plant them either directly in top quality soil OR a soilless mix which is what I use and fertilize them. You need fertilizer for the vegetative stage and then different fertilizer for the flowering stage.

Indica varieties only flower from 7 to 9 weeks where sativas can flower from 9 to 13 weeks so you need to pick strains that can grow in your area if you are planning on growing them outside. Generally speaking, sativas flower too long for most people unless you live in the tropics. That’s where a greenhouse comes in handy. Then of course there are auto flowerers which are the quickest to flower.

Once they start growing you are best off chopping the tops off so the plants bush out and send out more places for buds to grow. It cuts down on their height and produces more flowers.

Once the plants have finished flowering you cut them down gradually, take off all those big fan leaves and throw them away. They make a nice tea but that’s about all they are good for. Then you trim off all the sticky leaves and keep them and the buds. You hang the buds up to dry, taking precautions to make sure they dry properly with no mould. Then you bottle them and store them away.

You burp the bottles every day for a week or more or until the moisture leaves the jars.
Within a month or so the chlorophyll leaves and you are left with fabulous smooth tasting weed.

You can then smoke it, vape it, make butter oils and / or hash. I can make them all.

To make canna butter you use a slow cooker or crock pot and put it on ‘warm only’ setting as low can be too hot on some. You either add a few ounces of sticky trim or up to an ounce of bud for every pound of butter. Eventually you’ll find your own personal preference. It gets cooked for 10 to 12 hours. You will smell it cooking.

Before it completely cools you use cheesecloth and strain all the butter away from the buds and leaves. I just collect all that stuff with a sieve spoon and put it in the cheese cloth and squeeze out all the butter.

Then you pour the canna butter into containers and freeze it. Leave out only an amount that you can safely use within a month and store and label the rest.

Once it is cooled and solidified you can make cookies, bread, brownies, pancakes, scones or anything your heart desires BUT remember that the high you get from edibles is far different than smoking it. It can take hours for the THC to get into your bloodstream and once it does, you will be effected for a long time so please don’t drive or plan to go out while this intoxicated.

Note: While this is VERY effective for pain relief, you really need to experiment with it. Just handling this can cause THC to seep into your skin and cause you to get high. This IS medication and not something to take lightly so please be forewarned.

I have some pictures somewhere of my canna butter making. The layer on the bottom of this container is pure THC crystals. It’s potent stuff.
If you plan on making this please keep it away from children and label it for others. My husbands first try of my cookies left him so drugged he couldn’t move for hours. 😂😎🙄
I should have taken blackmailing pictures . 😝

View attachment 77473View attachment 77474View attachment 77475View attachment 77476
I'll bet your place smells real good when the crock pot is going! I'd like just a whiff of that! :)

Last edited:
This is all so interesting. Does it give baked goods an odd taste and does baking and freezing affect the strength? I was also wondering,if in time, do you need more and more to ease pain and help with insomnia? Do you get a full nights sleep from it and does it make you feel drugged or groggy in the morning? Sounds much better than the ambien I take every night to get to sleep.

True. The entire s house smells like canna butter cooking. 🤪 I’m not particularly keen on it though.
In fact it can become a bit nauseating after a while but the end product is awesome.
Yes, the end product...wish I had some..they still haven't made it recreational here and the medical kind costs a small fortune....:(o_O:eek:

This is all so interesting. Does it give baked goods an odd taste and does baking and freezing affect the strength? I was also wondering,if in time, do you need more and more to ease pain and help with insomnia? Do you get a full nights sleep from it and does it make you feel drugged or groggy in the morning? Sounds much better than the ambien I take every night to get to sleep.

The taste it gives to baked goods solely depends on how your butter is made. If you use plenty of larger fan leaves then the taste won’t be sweet and the chlorophyll doesn’t help much.

Using trichome covered tiny leaves or just the sticky parts produces a very sweet butter. Straight buds make a wonderful butter. Having properly dried and cured product to start with is key.

What you pair the canna butter up with also affects the end result. Chocolate or spices will cover any cannabis flavour. To be honest both my husband and I can’t tell the difference between a regular gingerbread or a canna gingerbread which can get dangerous. Good thing we don’t have kids. Lol

Freezing doesn’t really affect potency. Butter can be frozen or the baked goods themselves.

I can’t really answer your next question because I don’t take enough of them to know but I would think that perhaps you might need more if you get used to it. Yes.

My husband never got used to it. He’d had the exact same amount and it would put him out cold for insomnia but there were days that he’d say he still felt high the next day. This was especially true when he first started using.

He only used it when he was going through some serious amnesia bouts. He stopped using a while back when this resolved itself but he says it worked well.

I’ve tried a few over the counter sleeping remedies and I always end up feeling drugged the next day. It’s like a drug hang over. Marijuana never left me feeling like this. No drug hangover. Just a nice mellow buzz 🥰😎

Back