Guess I'm blessed when it comes to hurricane's

You got lucky, Thousands of Florida residents will be spending their coming weeks and months trying to recover and salvage their properties. Thousands may be without power for days. Even worse, the hurricane season is just starting, and more may be on the way.

One things for sure....we are All at the mercy of Mother Nature.....floods, fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, etc....no place is totally safe.

That or God felt losing one home this year was enough.
We got no rain, (just drizzle), and barely a hint of wind. Last night, watching what was happening, I'd call myself lucky.
Here's what I woke up to this morning.

View attachment 242040View attachment 242041
was it the Arkansas house that burnt to the ground... jeez I still can't get over that ?... what's happening about that..I realise you can't rebuild, but are you staying at your own home in Florida or where ?

was it the Arkansas house that burnt to the ground... jeez I still can't get over that ?... what's happening about that..I realise you can't rebuild, but are you staying at your own home in Florida or where ?
Yes, it was our Arkansas home. Still going through dealing with the insurance company. (moving ahead but slowly).
For now, we'll be staying in the Florida home. Not sure if I have it in me to build another house on the Arkansas property. Thinking I might sell off the 34 acres and find somewhere elsewhere that is already built and catches my eye.

Yes, it was our Arkansas home. Still going through dealing with the insurance company. (moving ahead but slowly).
For now, we'll be staying in the Florida home. Not sure if I have it in me to build another house on the Arkansas property. Thinking I might sell off the 34 acres and find somewhere elsewhere that is already built and catches my eye.
I think that's a very sensible Idea at this stage in life.. lot less work... . Hopefully your settlement won't take too long... just a great shame that you lost so much , but material things can always be replaced..

One of the local sheriffs made a comment about "hundreds" of deaths....however that is doubtful. There will likely be some deaths, but it may take days/weeks before everyone is accounted for....especially those living alone. What is probably true will be losses in the billions, and those without flood/disaster insurance will be financially devastated.

I live in PA, so hurricanes loose most of their punch by the time they get to me. So, I'm kind of lucky, too. But I fear we are just beginning to see the mega-storms, projected by climate change.
Yup, as the climate warms, and the oceans rise, these types of events will occur more frequently. It will take years, and billions of dollars to restore Florida....just in time for the next hurricane or flood to hit that State. If the experts at NOAA are correct, in another few decades most of that state will probably be under water. anyway.

Lived here 35 years and had three of them just brush by us, no damage at all. I can say that a tornado will ruin your whole day, but that is a different critter.
We had snow in Jacksonville in 1976.

Yup, as the climate warms, and the oceans rise, these types of events will occur more frequently. It will take years, and billions of dollars to restore Florida....just in time for the next hurricane or flood to hit that State. If the experts at NOAA are correct, in another few decades most of that state will probably be under water. anyway.
Not to argue, but, doesn't it seem like Plymouth rock should already be under some water, what with all this climate change and water rising talk? :unsure:

plymouth rock.jpg

My wife was born in The Bahamas, in Nassau, so she knows all about hurricanes. When I first visited there ( after we were married in Toronto ) I was struck by the fact that 90 percent of the houses are made of poured concrete . All of the walls are 2 foot thick solid concrete. When you look at video of a American hurricane after the storm has passed, the most notable debris is broken lumber, that the homes were built with. I call them "stick houses ". And of course flattened mobile homes, which I call "Hurricane Magnets ". Bahamians also have steel hurricane shutters made that cover the windows and doors with solid steel not plywood. Floridians could learn a few things. JImB.

Back