Had to change insurance this week....

Colleen

On Tuesday, I had a doctor's appointment. It was my 6 months "review" of meds, etc. Nothing serious. I went to the front desk and registered and the gal asked me for my insurance card. She took it and was gone for about 10 minutes. I wondered what was going on. She came back finally with their office manager and I was told that my doctor is no longer in-network! What!!??? My hubby had just been there in January and it was covered by our insurance.

The office manager had been on the phone with our insurance (Humana) to confirm non-coverage. I was dumb-founded! We've had Humana for years and have always had excellent coverage by them with no problems. I went home and called Humana and they confirmed that the Group of doctor's did not renew their contract so my PCP was no longer covered. Wouldn't you have thought Humana would have notified us??

So, I spent that day getting us enrolled in a different insurance that I know is primarily accepted here in PA and this area. Good thing I didn't have anything major to see my doctor about.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them??

That is an awful and shocking experience.:oops::confused:

In my view, from what I understood of your post, it would be your doctor's office that should have informed you, (prior to your visit) that they did not renew belonging to the Humana covered group.

Perhaps your doctor office should have sent a letter and e-mails, to ALL of their patients, that IF they have Humana, it would apply to them.

Anyway, of course it was upsetting for you, and yes, it's a good thing that you didn't have something urgent to address with your doctor, and thankfully you found a way to get continuity of ongoing care, there.

Thanks for the warning, to the rest of us! Even those who do not have Humana (I don't) could have this happen to them with some other coverage. Gosh.

Back