Hair Styles for Women Over 50

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
These cuts are supposed to be for older women, but I don't think you can put an age on them. I got Shag cuts in my 20s and still get similar cuts now in my 60s. These are some medium length styles...

The problem with all these hairstyles is that you've also got to deal with what you've got.

exactly...!!!

I've had pretty much all the styles at one time or another from the first video...but my hair isn't thick enough to make any of the styles in the 3rd or 4th video, look good.... altho' Gawd only knows I've tried!!...so I keep it long !

Last edited:
Lovely hairstyles, but for myself, I prefer long hair, longer the better.

I agree and have kept long hair since my twenties since; it's so easier to care for and can be worn in so many styles. I guess one has to know oneself when it comes hair, the image you wish to project to others as well as what fits your lifestyle. :love_heart:

I agree and have kept long hair since my twenties since; it's so easier to care for and can be worn in so many styles. I guess one has to know oneself when it comes hair, the image you wish to project to others as well as what fits your lifestyle. :love_heart:

This is exactly right. Plus I get a little annoyed at styles for "certain age," whether hair or clothing or whatever. I know what suits me.

The problem with all these hairstyles is that you've also got to deal with what you've got.

Lovely hairstyles, but for myself, I prefer long hair, longer the better.

exactly...!!!

I've had pretty much all the styles at one time or another from the first video...but my hair isn't thick enough to make any of the styles in the 3rd or 4th video, look good.... altho' Gawd only knows I've tried!!...so I keep it long !

This is exactly right. Plus I get a little annoyed at styles for "certain age," whether hair or clothing or whatever. I know what suits me.
Such smart ladies here. We don’t need certain styles for certain ages. Most of these so called ‘easy styles’ aren’t all that easy especially for older women. Also, all these pictures are of models and actresses, meaning they had their hair professional done for the photos.

Fashion hairstyles, follow trends to influence society to spend more money and having any of these distinct hairstyles is considered high maintenance and costly. Growing our tresses out and caring for our locks so we can learn to create a variety of our own signature styles can’t be beat.

Long hair offers much more versatility than any one of these hairstyles offer so I’ll keep growing mine.
Its currently 2 inches from tailbone. How long is yours now Shalimar?

With my hair, it is very fine and thin, and breaks easily. All started at a young age...I was born with very straight hair, in an era when my mom wanted a little "Shirley Temple" So, she took it upon herself to start perming my hair from the time I was 5 or 6!!! Really. It eventually damaged my hair beyond repair, and finally in my 20s I said no more perms. No color, no perms, no chemicals at all.
So now it is very thin, and I have some patchy spots. I keep it very short (as you see in my profile picture). It is to the point that I have been called "sir" by strangers. But, it is what I need to do to at least have it look OK. People have suggested getting extentions, or a wig. I am not comfortable with either option

I would love the freedom to try different styles, but I will have to take what nature, and circumstances have given me.

Oh gosh Keesha, to be blessed with such hair. Mine is curly and just to the top of my shoulders. I'm sick of it. Several of these cuts look good to me... I'm thinking about a shorter cut.
Oh right. That ‘other’ people thing. :shrug:
I suppose some of these would work for others
Now did you ‘have’ to point out the obvious?:eek:nthego:

With my hair, it is very fine and thin, and breaks easily. All started at a young age...I was born with very straight hair, in an era when my mom wanted a little "Shirley Temple" So, she took it upon herself to start perming my hair from the time I was 5 or 6!!! Really. It eventually damaged my hair beyond repair, and finally in my 20s I said no more perms. No color, no perms, no chemicals at all.
So now it is very thin, and I have some patchy spots. I keep it very short (as you see in my profile picture). It is to the point that I have been called "sir" by strangers. But, it is what I need to do to at least have it look OK. People have suggested getting extentions, or a wig. I am not comfortable with either option

I would love the freedom to try different styles, but I will have to take what nature, and circumstances have given me.
Well I happen to like your super short hair. It looks really cute and easy to care for.

Such smart ladies here. We don’t need certain styles for certain ages. Most of these so called ‘easy styles’ aren’t all that easy especially for older women. Also, all these pictures are of models and actresses, meaning they had their hair professional done for the photos.

Fashion hairstyles, follow trends to influence society to spend more money and having any of these distinct hairstyles is considered high maintenance and costly. Growing our tresses out and caring for our locks so we can learn to create a variety of our own signature styles can’t be beat.

Long hair offers much more versatility than any one of these hairstyles offer so I’ll keep growing mine.
Its currently 2 inches from tailbone. How long is yours now Shalimar?
Halfway down my derrière, and I just trimmed several inches.

Most of these styles are perfect... a little too perfect. I don't have the time, skills, or type of hair that would work with many (any?) of these, nor do I have a hairdresser on call to do my hair every day.

My hair curls where it wants and I've learned to go with it.

My son got married a couple of weeks ago, I swore to myself that after their (amazing!) wedding I was going to start weaning myself from coloring my hair. In a couple of weeks I'll see a stylist who's really good with color. Hoping she can figure out some clever streaking to avoid the dreadful skunk look while it grows out.

What the heck - if I hate it, I can always go back to coloring it.

As with most things, it’s a question of personal taste, in my view you need to take into account the shape of your face, size of your ears and the colour you prefer more than your age

I wore my hair mid length but after losing it all during a course of chemotherapy found I prefer it short, a similar style to Chris Jenner, it ‘lifts’ my face, suits the shape and is easy to manage

A75CB50E-1F44-47F7-B003-46046B032462.jpg

As with most things, it’s a question of personal taste, in my view you need to take into account the shape of your face, size of your ears and the colour you prefer more than your age

I wore my hair mid length but after losing it all during a course of chemotherapy found I prefer it short, a similar style to Chris Jenner, it ‘lifts’ my face, suits the shape and is easy to manage

You're absolutely right Wren, it is all a matter of personal taste and what we think works best for us individually. I think this is a cute hair style, but I never looked good in really short hair, although it's easy and there may be a day when my health declines and I need to have an easier cut to care for myself. My older sister went through chemo/radiation before she died, and I know what you were going through with hair loss. I hope you never need those treatments again....hugs.

Marie, you're lucky because short hair looks good on you. There are a lot of reasons that people choose the length and style of hair that they do, as Wren said, it's a very personal decision. I've seen many beautiful women over the years with super short or long hair, the length of hair isn't what makes them beautiful, it's the whole package including their hearts and personalities.

My mother colored and had her hair done in the beauty parlor regularly but never had it long. When she became older, her hair thinned and she started having a bald spot at the top. That was the first time in her life that she grew her hair, just to pull it up in a braided bun to cover the spot, by this time she was completely gray.

When I was a kid, my mother gave me the simple Buster Brown haircut, short below the ear and bangs straight across. She gave me those Tonette perms at home too, luckily my hair was thick enough not to be permanently damaged from them. She also used thinning shears to thin my hair out.

When I became a teenager, I had the freedom to grow my hair, the longest I wanted it was down to the bottom of the shoulder blades, longer than that it looked ratty on the ends and not healthy from root to end and it just didn't feel good for me. I kept that length into my 20s and 30s. I was never a 'girly girl', didn't fuss with it, put it up, braid it or anything like that....although I did get a couple of perms in my adult years. I've always been a bit rugged, doing things outdoors, so I always let my hair dry naturally or sometimes blow dry it if needed, but with no particular styling. Most I'd do it put it in a rubberband if I was working outdoors.

Now, I wear it in a medium to long shag-like style, sometimes with bangs, sometimes without. My hair isn't curly or straight, there's a little natural wave to it, so I just let it do it's thing. :D

Thanks a lot. These "older woman" makes me want to kill myself. Can we have some real women as models next time----Please?

And can we be reminded that SF says accepts people 50+? Big difference between 50+ and up to 70+. You who are in your high 50ths and 60th, you, I have been there and, guess what? It makes big difference. What until you get there to your seventies, and then tell me about it.

Back