Has anyone had to use curbside vet services because of covid?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
My vet now only has curbside visits and I have to take my dog in to get her anal glands expressed. I made an appointment but feel badly that I have to wait in the cab while a vet tech takes my dog in to do the service. I usually go in with her. It's bad enough that my dog has to have this done every month or two but now she'll be whisked away from me and into the clinic without me. My dog hates this procedure even though she behaves like an angel during it. I just feel badly now.

Has anyone else used this curbside service since covid?

Hi Ruth - My neighbor's dog had curbside service and it worked well. Per the neighbor, it was very efficient and had extremely high levels of hygiene precautions taken by staff. The dog did not voice any complaints. By the way, when I had my own, very large male dog, I was taught by the vet how to do the manual expression at home. It's gross, but I couldn't afford to get his gland professionally expressed as often as it needed to be done.

It was time for me to get more heartworm meds for my dog, he takes one per month, year round. Every two years they take a blood test anyway before giving the meds. They insisted that I take him in for the test before I get the meds. I also have always been with him at every vet visit and was not happy that he had to go in alone, but I understand their not wanting people in the building during this pandemic.

Anyhoo, I got to the parking lot, called and let them know I was there. A vet tech came out and took him inside. A few minutes later she came back out with him, no blood test taken, so it all was for nothing. Even though it was two years since his last test, and they insisted he needed on over the phone.....they changed their tune.

Everything went okay, especially since he was just walked in and out of the building. :rolleyes: I went home and paid over the phone using my credit card. They only charged for meds. If it's something I have no control over, I just go with the rules they put in place for the coronavirus, best we can do not to get too upset over it. Good luck with your girl, sorry you have to pay for waiting in the cab, hope they're quick about it.

Thank you Em and SeaBreeze. I guess I'm worrying my dog will be upset. I realize they need to do this because of the virus. I just wish I could be there to "hold her paw" while she gets it done. I hope they are fast too for everyone's sake. 💗 (y)

Em, even if they told me how to do it she wouldn't hold still for me. She gets upset when I clean her back end in the tub and jumped out last week. It takes one to hold her and another to do it and that's how they do it at the vet.

Thank you Em and SeaBreeze. I guess I'm worrying my dog will be upset. I realize they need to do this because of the virus. I just wish I could be there to "hold her paw" while she gets it done. I hope they are fast too for everyone's sake. 💗 (y)

Em, even if they told me how to do it she wouldn't hold still for me. She gets upset when I clean her back end in the tub and jumped out last week. It takes one to hold her and another to do it and that's how they do it at the vet.
I get it - too bad we humans didn't come with four arms! With my Murray, I think he was just happy to have relief from the discomfort - and relieved that I wasn't trying to brush out his very furry tail! He hated that!

Twice with our little 'money pit' dog. Took him to the groomer, the masked owner met us at the door both to drop him off and pick him up. The we needed to take him to the vet for a series of shots, 3 shots & 2 prescriptions. They came to our car with mask, gloves took him through the window, they called with the charges which went on a card then they brought him out with receipt in hand, again gloved/masked. I said to the wife I hope this doesn't change when to danger has passed, I like the service.

Yes took my cat Coffie to the vet two weeks ago for an abscess on his face. He howled the whole way there and expressed his own anal glands in the carrier. Got there and the assistant came out and took the carrier in. Ten minutes later the vet comes out describes what's what. Goes back in. In a few minutes, the vet and assistant come out. Doc has the carrier and assistant has the paperwork. I write a check and doc puts the carrier in the car. He makes small talk about the abscess, gives me the antibiotic and indicates the cat may smell bad. I tell him yes I was smelling him on the way there. We both have a chuckle and off we go. Stinky carries on howling non-stop, is confused when I open the carrier as he sees things looking familiar. The visit was quicker than any other I've experienced. After all that drama, Coffie is just fine.

Twice with our little 'money pit' dog. Took him to the groomer, the masked owner met us at the door both to drop him off and pick him up. The we needed to take him to the vet for a series of shots, 3 shots & 2 prescriptions. They came to our car with mask, gloves took him through the window, they called with the charges which went on a card then they brought him out with receipt in hand, again gloved/masked. I said to the wife I hope this doesn't change when to danger has passed, I like the service.
I'm glad it went well at both the vet and groomer.

Yes took my cat Coffie to the vet two weeks ago for an abscess on his face. He howled the whole way there and expressed his own anal glands in the carrier. Got there and the assistant came out and took the carrier in. Ten minutes later the vet comes out describes what's what. Goes back in. In a few minutes, the vet and assistant come out. Doc has the carrier and assistant has the paperwork. I write a check and doc puts the carrier in the car. He makes small talk about the abscess, gives me the antibiotic and indicates the cat may smell bad. I tell him yes I was smelling him on the way there. We both have a chuckle and off we go. Stinky carries on howling non-stop, is confused when I open the carrier as he sees things looking familiar. The visit was quicker than any other I've experienced. After all that drama, Coffie is just fine.
I'm so glad your kitty is fine but what an ordeal.

Yeah I’ve taken Tango in since the lockdown. The vet tech instructed me to stay in the car and put his little carrier on the passenger seat, and she came and removed him, masked and gloved.

The vet then called me on my cell while I waited in the car, and conducted the exam while talking and asking questions and such over the phone.

The tech returned him to the passenger seat with some meds, took my credit card info and I went home. Simple and easy, with minimal exposure for all.

I just talked to the manager here and one of them is going to take my dog and I to the vet tomorrow. I feel some relief because if they didn't take me I'd have to take a cab and wait in the cab. That was another part of it I felt nervous about so things seem better now. I think it's going to be okay.

Thanks for all your replies, they helped me to get used to this new idea of curbside Vet visits.

I just talked to the manager here and one of them is going to take my dog and I to the vet tomorrow. I feel some relief because if they didn't take me I'd have to take a cab and wait in the cab. That was another part of it I felt nervous about so things seem better now. I think it's going to be okay.

Thanks for all your replies, they helped me to get used to this new idea of curbside Vet visits.
I hope all goes well for your beloved pet. Let us know, please!

It was time for me to get more heartworm meds for my dog, he takes one per month, year round. Every two years they take a blood test anyway before giving the meds. They insisted that I take him in for the test before I get the meds. I also have always been with him at every vet visit and was not happy that he had to go in alone, but I understand their not wanting people in the building during this pandemic.

Anyhoo, I got to the parking lot, called and let them know I was there. A vet tech came out and took him inside. A few minutes later she came back out with him, no blood test taken, so it all was for nothing. Even though it was two years since his last test, and they insisted he needed on over the phone.....they changed their tune.

Everything went okay, especially since he was just walked in and out of the building. :rolleyes: I went home and paid over the phone using my credit card. They only charged for meds. If it's something I have no control over, I just go with the rules they put in place for the coronavirus, best we can do not to get too upset over it. Good luck with your girl, sorry you have to pay for waiting in the cab, hope they're quick about it.

Wonder why a blood test would be needed if they are continually on the heartworm med?

I recently had issues with getting yearly heartworm prevention from my vet. They did a blood test last summer and gave me an 8 month supply only... so, now that I am out, I found what I needed online, a 12 month supply, and at a good price. I ordered, and they needed prescription approval from the local vet office. ... so vet charged me 20% markup for getting it elsewhere. grrrrr .... (but still less than local vet)

Not happy with them at all .... I'm going to go back to an old vet from my old neighborhood when it's time for yearly checkup in the fall.
That is, IF there are any normal office visits by then.

My vet now only has curbside visits and I have to take my dog in to get her anal glands expressed. I made an appointment but feel badly that I have to wait in the cab while a vet tech takes my dog in to do the service. I usually go in with her. It's bad enough that my dog has to have this done every month or two but now she'll be whisked away from me and into the clinic without me. My dog hates this procedure even though she behaves like an angel during it. I just feel badly now.

Has anyone else used this curbside service since covid?
Hi, Ruthann,
I have 3 dogs and have had to do the curbside thing twice with my 11 year old Maltese. I hate no being there with her but it worked out well as I have a lot of trust in my vet. I know it is scary for our babies but mine seemed to bear it well. Hope this is over before you have to do it again.

Hi, Ruthann,
I have 3 dogs and have had to do the curbside thing twice with my 11 year old Maltese. I hate no being there with her but it worked out well as I have a lot of trust in my vet. I know it is scary for our babies but mine seemed to bear it well. Hope this is over before you have to do it again.
Thank you. I have to take her in for her anal glands every two months or sooner sometimes. I'm glad your pup fared well through the curbside visit. We go tomorrow morning.

Well, we had our appointment today and all went okay. They did the procedure for her and had her back out in a few minutes. She said how good my dog was, too. She always is! I'm so glad to get that over with. I know my dog is too and very relieved! :D (y) :giggle: 🐶🐰🦋

My niece did, when she had to take her cat in to be PTS. They called when they arrived with the cat. A tech came out to get him, then brought his body out afterward. They said it worked OK, but were sad they could not be with him

I was behind an SUV on Tuesday and on the back window there was written a message stating “In Home Euthanasia for Your Pet.” I had to ask some friends about this and it seems that this is gaining popularity.

Back