Have you ever contemplated suicide?

been outa the mental health/illhealth game for a while now but saw a plethora of diganostic explanations. But two treatments stood out ECT - electric convulsive therapy and anti-depressants - the drugs seemed to be rather more scientfic as of late and fit the explanation that certain brain chemicals are deficient [reason unknown] but need replacing.

ECT has become much less fashionable and was is IMO a less refined way that anti-depressants work - just kick start the brain electrically and hope it shakes everything up to normal again. It seemed to wipe away good memory for a while as well as not so good!! think I'd try the meds first!!

I have followed Anthony B career for sometime - as a youth he got into drug taking in quite a big way and that can have long term effects on brain functioning? - but he seemed to get over that and carved out a successful career which consisted of hard training and long hrs. I thought he had nailed it when he began his relationship with his Italian girlfriend and had a daughter who must have been about 13/14 when he died. I was as shocked as any. Here was a man who seemed to have everything an had just about been everywhere in the world too. I often watched his shows with envy! - His last 12 hrs of life still haunt me - why what for how could you etc. That's why I stick with the biochemical explanations? RIP Anthony - I really mean that

some theorists have suggested that death from 'cancer' is a form of 'cellular suicide' - or 'cellular murder' in which apparent normal cells deviate from the norm and become 'killer cells' ; as may be other auto-immune diseases?

Yes. I definitely made the decision to end my life. I was in Intensive Care, extremely weak and in pain. I had to be switched from side to side to prevent bed sores, every four hours. I was in so much pain I was given versed before the move. I figured out how to do it while in a hospital bed. It would have worked. But I was so ill that there was a nurse always in the room. Believe, if there was a chance, I would have done it.
I was a psyche nurse, and I remember the first time I asked a patient if he was suicidal, and he answered ,"Yes", and had a pretty good plan how to do it. There was no doubt that he was going to do it. It was the way he said, "Yes"- a feeling of determination. That was scary.

Yes. I definitely made the decision to end my life. I was in Intensive Care, extremely weak and in pain. I had to be switched from side to side to prevent bed sores, every four hours. I was in so much pain I was given versed before the move. I figured out how to do it while in a hospital bed. It would have worked. But I was so ill that there was a nurse always in the room. Believe, if there was a chance, I would have done it.
I was a psyche nurse, and I remember the first time I asked a patient if he was suicidal, and he answered ,"Yes", and had a pretty good plan how to do it. There was no doubt that he was going to do it. It was the way he said, "Yes"- a feeling of determination. That was scary.
yes I remember reading that many potential suiciders do have a plan and a method but NOT all do - it is not an exclusive 100% - in fact it might be a useful strategic from a medical point of view to ask the patient if they have such a plan and method - something I don't recall used back when?

some theorists have suggested that death from 'cancer' is a form of 'cellular suicide' - or 'cellular murder' in which apparent normal cells deviate from the norm and become 'killer cells' ; as may be other auto-immune diseases?
Would this idea be consistent with having a Freudian deep seated subconscious death wish?

not sure about that - most of us modernists sorta gave up on Freud - and he doesn't carry much credit these days in the fields of human behaviourism?

Back