Have you ever won a medal or ribbon?

When in my 40's and a runner I would sometimes win a ribbon or trophy for coming in 1st, 2nd or 3rd which wasn't that great an accomplishment because there was a limited number of people in the age group. It was still far back in the pack compared to much better and younger runners.

Won a track ribbon as a member of a relay team, at the Punahou relays, 1968.
(the high school Barack Obama attended, a private school on Oahu, but not at the same time as him.)
Not fast enough to run on my own, always needed a helping hand!

Some ribbons/Medals in a shadow box hanging on the wall in the back den.
Something they did as a retirement thing.

Nothing outstanding, just ones they hand out if you hang around long enough...

Between the ages of 8 and 12 I played baseball and track. They were always competitive, so it always felt important to win. I tried hard to be the best I could and got the rewards when I did win. Then when I was 22 I drove home to visit my parents, and asked about my trophies and other awards. He said they must have gotten thrown out when they moved! :eek: It bugged me for quite awhile, maybe 10 years...but somehow they just drifted into
history. :)

Just 3.
When I was 10, first place in a Bach competition.
When I was 30, two first place pins - one for combat pistol - Falling Plate Match & one first place - Metallic Silhouette, 50 meter event.

Falling plates: (professional competitor; not me; I did not compete professionally)

Metallic Silhouette:

When in my 40's and a runner I would sometimes win a ribbon or trophy for coming in 1st, 2nd or 3rd which wasn't that great an accomplishment because there was a limited number of people in the age group. It was still far back in the pack compared to much better and younger runners.
same at my school..I was an athlete at school (track and field)... and won various ribbons, and certificates.. no medals or cups..

I got many medals, plaques and trophies for running starting with 1st in the league 880 in 10th grade.
After joining Toastmasters in 1998 I won quite a few ribbons, plaques and trophies from speaking contests.
Mostly I've always loved to run, and enjoyed the speaking contests quite a bit too, especially the humorous ones.
It was especially nice to be able to share those activities with other people, and to form some long lasting friendships.

I was awarded Varsity Letters in 3 sports for several years. They were meant to be sewn on to your "letterman's jacket".

Old line about the coach who sees a young lady in the school hallway wearing a letterman jacket. Coach says, "Suzy, you aren't supposed to wear that jacket unless you've made the team."

Suzy just looks at him and says "Well..."

A number of baseball team-trophies for both seasonal championships and elimination tournaments, and 2 League Championship plaques. Won my first trophy when I was 11, and the last one when I was 36 (and a bunch in-between). Was presented the first plaque when I was 22 (or 24?) and the second when I was 36. These are all team awards....because there's no I in Team.

But I won an individual award in boxing when I was 16 or 17 - best WLD stats, rookie.

Back