Have you given thought about "your final wishes"?

Come on, it's gonna happen. So, have you given thought about "your final wishes"? I have a list of "don'ts".
As for me, I'm not religious, so no big church funeral. Nope to a viewing, wake, etc. I want to cremated, and come on, I'm dead, and burnt to ashes, so does it really matter where they then dump the ashes? I don't want to be buried, because sooner or later ,they are going pave over me and erect a McDonald's. I wouldn't mind if my kin got together and talked about me. But I don't want tears, only funny stories.

Ideally I'd like to be buried in a 'green' way with a tree planted over me. But, I have not made any effort to set up any type of arrangement. I really appreciated that my mother had already pre-paid and provided instructions.

I set up a prepaid funeral with a local undertaker and purchased my tombstone a few years ago.

The first thing that you see when you open my wallet is a card with the contact information to arrange for the removal of my remains. That was a tip I got from Falcon when he was active on SF.

Will the living honor the wishes of the dead?

We want to be cremated,no service.We have prepaid for our niches for the ashes.In a building in the cemetery.Only thing we haven't paid for is the cremation.Got our urns from here.Paid 60.00 way back while,they charge over 400 at funeral home.

My health card has that I can donate any organs worth while from my body.Depends what you die from.

Got a nice urn for our last dog there

https://www.perfectmemorials.com/

Yes, I've left detailed instructions via Google documents shared with my son and oldest grandson as to what to do after I pass. Instructions include which funeral home should handle my service. It's the policy of Muslims to be buried. About 5 years ago, I bought my plot and paid for my opening and closing fees. I'm tellin' ya...they get ya coming and going! (pun intended). That my mother and father, who passed first, had a dual grave with vault paid for was a tremendous help to me when I had to make arrangements for my mother. She had also pre-paid for her funeral. My will and living will were revised last year but due to COVID I just got them notarized a couple of months ago.

My mom had everything planned out and paid for. Unfortunately my dad didn’t and it was hard grieving and figuring everything else out.

Hubby and I have cremation all paid for and card in our wallets. Hubby is a vet so I have it planned for our ashes to be buried at Fort Snelling. Having second thoughts though. He has always been real low key about his service. Told him that Kids and grandkids would appreciate their service and a place to go when they need to talk. Hmmm …

My experience is that I’ve felt closer to my deceased family more walking in the woods then at a cemetery.

I seem to have ended up with three cemetery plots paid for and available to me. One is a pioneer cemetery where grandparents and great grandparents are buried, one is where my Mother is buried, and the third is a large family plot where there is "always room for one more". My Daughter asked me which one I would choose and I gave her the Bob Hope answer: "surprise me".

My Grandpa and Dad paid for plots for generations to come. My daughter knows exactly what I want, which is no fanfare and I want to be buried as quick as possible.
She knows that I want to be wearing my charm bracelet that has been kept up to date with important moments in my life.
I want a closed casket but I have given her permission to peek and make sure its me there.
Mix ups can happen.

My kids know what my final wishes are, and I'm positive they'll honor them. I wrote everything down and stuck the envelope in a book, just in case they need a reminder.
Writing everything down is a good idea. I did so when my mother was getting up in age. I have written down for my nephew who will take care of things, where important papers are in the house along with keys etc. Told verbaly will be remembered for a while but not forever.

As for cremation, I would like my ashes divided in three . One to be spread out in the woods where I played, a second thrown in the river, and the third buried in my father's grave directly into the dirt and not in an urn. I have to see if that can be done.

Writing everything down is a good idea. I did so when my mother was getting up in age. I have written down for my nephew who will take care of things, where important papers are in the house along with keys etc. Told verbaly will be remembered for a while but not forever.

As for cremation, I would like my ashes divided in three . One to be spread out in the woods where I played, a second thrown in the river, and the third buried in my father's grave directly into the dirt and not in an urn. I have to see if that can be done.
If the cemetery has a problem with that, it can be done while no one's looking, under the guise of putting in some flowers or something.

Years ago I read about an experiment where they proved that all water is connected in one way or another - the memory of water. Either through underground springs or humidity that carries part of one body of water to another.
I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered in a river in Northern Michigan. Then, if anyone wants to visit me, they can go to any body of water and a part of me will be there.

I have purchased a cemetery plot where my father, aunt and grandparents are buried (as well as my mom who is still living will be laid to rest). I want to be cremated, no ceremony necessary. My biggest goal is to be sure to clean up and get rid of all my junk before I go. I don't want to burden my wife or only son to have to clean up a bunch of stuff after I'm gone. Want to make sure my wife will be taken care of financially. Don't have to worry about taking care of junior, I'd like to leave him something but if not, he is an MD and makes a comfortable living.

Last edited:

Once someone dumps your ashes, not much anyone else can do about it. I know someone once dumped an urn full of ashes onto the playing field at the Univ of Michigan during a football game.

My kids know what my final wishes are, and I'm positive they'll honor them. I wrote everything down and stuck the envelope in a book, just in case they need a reminder.
Have you done any of it yourself. My stepfather just handed me his list of wishes in a letter I guess figuring I'll take care of it like everything that I'll have to do regarding any big changes in his health or death. Whichever comes first. He's making no effort to do anything himself. He wants cremation and ashes to his home town where his mother is. Doesn't even know the cemetery. Easy enough to figure out I guess. He had some other wishes with former animal ashes and honestly, I don't know what I'll do regarding that.

Then I'll have to figure out what to do with my mother's ashes which are on the top of the cabinet in his living room.

I do not want to be kept alive on a machine. When it's my time, its my time. I also do not want a big fancy funeral.. that is for the living. Won't be for me, I will not get to see and enjoy it. I would like everyone to eat, drink and dance. I love dancing and having a good time. This will be VERY HARD for my family members and friends if I go before them.

Last edited:
Come on, it's gonna happen. So, have you given thought about "your final wishes"? I have a list of "don'ts".
As for me, I'm not religious, so no big church funeral. Nope to a viewing, wake, etc. I want to cremated, and come on, I'm dead, and burnt to ashes, so does it really matter where they then dump the ashes? I don't want to be buried, because sooner or later ,they are going pave over me and erect a McDonald's. I wouldn't mind if my kin got together and talked about me. But I don't want tears, only funny stories.
My final wish is that my wife and children do what they think is best for them. That's all.

Back