Have you switched to a smartphone? Do you like texting?

I am having nothing but trouble with this bs Android phone. I wanted a phone not to text, I don't like texting I've been texting for four years...I am not a happy camper been without service phone wise for 4 months.

Yes, I text and like doing it. This is my fourth one and I like them, however, they can be hacked and cause problems. I had to reset my last one but it did no good. I got a new one last week and it's okay, kind of a cheap one but it's all I can afford at the moment. One day I'd like to get a real nice one. No I don't want to go back to the flip phone.

I loved my old Nokia, and kept using it until recently, only because I was not getting network coverage at home and more and more areas around the city.

I still don't want a SmartPhone, so I ordered the new Nokia3310 version of the old model. It
has features I will never use, and I'm still learning how to use it to text.

In my humble opinion, I wish they would stick to simplicity of use with these phones.

My whole family have the latest iPhones, and they use them a lot. I have mine specifically in case of emergency only. It's funny, when I'm in the doctor's waiting room - I'm the only one
not surfing the web on my phone :)

My whole family have the latest iPhones, and they use them a lot. I have mine specifically in case of emergency only. It's funny, when I'm in the doctor's waiting room - I'm the only one
not surfing the web on my phone :)
Me too...I don't do that when I'm in public tbh.. unless I'm sitting for an extraordinarily long time in a waiting room somwhere like the A&E at the hospital..otherwise my phone stays in my bag. !! Everyone else is surfing the web at cafe's /restaurants/trains/.planes, doctors/dentists// just about everywhere..but I don't...I prefer to read..

Last edited:
We both have I-phones and use them a lot: Voice Calls, Google Maps, Shared Calendar, Find a Friend (the two of us), Texting, E-mail, Internet Access, Camera, Stock Market, Compass, Grocery Lists, and News.

They are very handy, but we are not on them constantly like some folks. We do not do any banking or shopping on them, and we don't use Facebook or any other social media.

I went from an Android to iPhone 6 in October (via Consumer Cellular), mostly so I can do wifi calling and texting from home (I have no cell signal where I live). I'm still running my business and texting is a valuable tool in modern business.

Having said that, I much preferred my $60 Android over my $200 iPhone. The Android OS is very logical, easy to figure things out. Not so with iPhone -- NOTHING is logical. But after almost 3 months -- thanks to a lot of Googling for answers -- I'm pretty much on top of it.

Why or why not?
If you have, are you glad you did or are you cursing it all the time and ready to go back to your old flip phone?

What problems have you encountered?

Thinking about getting my grandpa an iPhone. He is 96 though. He has an iPad and does great with it, and loves it - so I think he would have no problem. For those of you who have made the transition, do you like it? Hate it? Miss your "dumb"phone?

I have an iPhone, an iPad, and an Apple Watch, and love them all ! I think that if your grandfather is able to use his ipad, then he should do fine with the iPhone.
It would be the same functions that he is used to doing with the ipad, and with Siri on the phone, it would even make it easier if he needed to call for help for some reason.

While I can text on my phone if necessary, I usually do that with the iPad instead, since it is larger and I have the Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad, so it is like using a laptop for messaging.
Both Apple devices sync together, and if he has an iPhone, he can even answer the phone with his ipad if he wants to do that, as well as the text messaging.

Also, I would totally recommend getting him an Apple Watch !
My daughter got me one, and i just love it. My phone stays in my handbag for the most part, because if I get a call while driving, I can answer it from the Apple Watch.
The watch has a huge bunch of health-oriented apps that work along with the phone, so if he is interested in tracking health and fitness, he can do that.

Also, there is an emergency button on the watch, so if he fell and needed help, he can push the button and it will call 911 and also his emergency contacts.
The 2 newest models also have an option to take an EKG right from the watch, and they have an alert that goes off if you should fall. If the watch thinks you fell, it will vibrate and then ask if you fell or not.
If you say that you fell, then it asks If you need help or not. If there is no response at all, then the watch calls emergency for you.
Personally, I think that every senior person should have an Apple Watch, that is how great they are ! !

I bought my first Smartphone in 2016 ans just fancied and curious about doing more than i could do on my flip phone. Not regretted it and enjoy using the Net at home but a basic SIM only contract with mobile data if needed.
I am not adventurous with Apps and keep them minimal.

I love Whatsapp and use it for family and close friends also SMS texting. I also love the camera and my Gallery and can ping pics and attachments. I sit watch telly and tap away on here like im doing now.

I going to upgrade to a new phone that's superceded mine as mine has a cracked screen and the battery is getting past its use-by date.

My Smartphone is enjoyable and I marvel at how technology has developed since those days of yore when the landline ruled and public phone boxes were the norm and those ugly big mobiles of the 80's were the big-buzz

We also have several older, perfectly functional iPhones from when others have upgraded so the phone itself would not be an expense. Just the upgrade in plan.

We already have him on our Family Plan for AT&T (for his regular cell phone - flip phone and iPad) so we probably wouldn't want to change carriers and have another account out there.

With the Jitterbug, what really is different from it, versus any other smartphone?
Seems to me some of the phones these days esp. the Plus-sized Phones have HUGE BUTTONS (my mom has an iPhone 6 PLUS, it has huge font) have some pretty big buttons! His vision for close up stuff is pretty good though. I think his glasses are for distance only.

The one thing about the iPhone that I thought would make it NOT be overwhelming, would be the fact that it is basically same software/layout as his iPad which he already uses everyday. I was thinking it would be easier to stay on the same platform than switch systems (not sure what Jitterbug is like) but I could be wrong.
I can see your rationale for wanting to stick with the Apple products. My first smart phone was the iPhone 4, so you know that was a while ago and I loved it. Had switched from the old Blackberry trend. I did not like that the iPhone battery could not be changed it was about to die (could hardly hold a charge for an hour). I was getting ready to go on vacation and had to get something quickly. My husband had switched to Metro PCS so I got a free LG phone. Hated that phone so requested a Samsung for my birthday. I've been a Samsung fan ever since. I absolutely love my smartphone and tablets and how much can be accomplished using them.

I like my smart phone and I do enjoy texting but I use speech to text as I have pretty pudgy fingers myself!

Back