Having Rats as Pets

Marie5656

Several people here have asked me questions about having pet rats. Hopefully I can give some basic information here, and if you have questions you can ask here.
There are different breeds and color There are standard and dwarf rats. Dumbo (ears low on side of head) and standard ear. I am posting a link to an article and a picture.

Most people keep rats in a multi-level cage, allowing them room to run and play. Most people keep rats in pairs. They need to be of same gender, if you do not want little ones. Plus each gender have different personalities.

I have a dedicated rat-safe room that I will put Max and Bear in for exercise when they are older and more comfortable here. Average weight is about a pound or less each. Boys tend to be bigger.

Most rats will play with their humans. Mine run all over my lap when I am sitting by the cage.

The ear rat food from the pet store. They also like treats of cooked pasta, oats (raw or cooked), banana, corn and peas. These are examples. Some people give their rats leafy greens to munch on. Plus wood sticks (bought in pet store, so no chemicals on them) to chew on to keep the teeth ground down.

Well, I can post more later, so here is the article and picture.

https://pethelpful.com/rodents/Rats-and-Their-Types-Colors-and-Patterns

0244c13faa6b947fd321e8ced5e06bcc.jpg

I find that most interesting,Marie. I had no idea there were so many kinds. Years ago my kids had hamsters and Guinea pigs. I thought the hamsters had no personality at all but I loved the little "pigs". One was so clean about himself that he only went in one area of his cage. Very easy to clean up after. He would squeal when you went near the cage and loved strawberries

The pigs were easy to catch when when they were allowed out. The hamsters were very quick. Can you easily catch the rats when they need to be put back in their cage? I certainly would figure something out so they could be out at times.

I'm not one to buy these creatures and let them sit out their life in a cage. My bird is out all day long and goes back to his cage to eat, drink and sleep. Most of the time he hangs out on my shoulder. I have old pillow cases that I pin on my shoulder for obvious reasons.

Never had one of my own, but years ago, I had a friend who had a white pet rat. What a cool and awesome thing. He would sit in my hand and I pet his head. Never had any fear that he'd bite me.

Also had a friend that had two ferrets. Again, totally cool and awesome. I'd sit on their floor and play with both of them.

I've never had a rat as a pet, but I did have two gerbils who were best friends with my cat. The cat thought he was a dog.....no, to be honest, he thought he was a human. I'm not sure what the gerbils thought they were.

The gerbils were Houdini-level escape artists and when they got out, we'd send the cat to find them. He'd locate them in the back of a closet or under the bed and gently bring them back to us. Then, of course, he'd give them a good bath and a cuddle. They were his babies and he was very protective of them.

Strangest thing I've ever seen......

Some fun facts. A group of rats is called a Mischief. Appropriate. They can hold food in their hands to eat. Rats are quite smart, and if you are patient you can teach them tricks. Check this video

<strong>

I have nothing against rats, but would probably not have one as a pet. I worked for years with them in a medical research facility. When I first started there, the lab people kept 3 as sort of pets. As they got old, their fur yellowed. We had the all-white ones (Norwegian) and both fawn and black hooded ones.

I have nothing against rats, but would probably not have one as a pet. I worked for years with them in a medical research facility. When I first started there, the lab people kept 3 as sort of pets. As they got old, their fur yellowed. We had the all-white ones (Norwegian) and both fawn and black hooded ones.

Rats are not for everyone. Rick would love a snake as a pet. I say NO WAY

I just edited my post because I just reread the OP and see she ask no where for people to say why they don't like rats. I don't want to be rude.

You were not rude. As I mentioned above, some people just do not like them. In previous posts I have made about rats, folks have asked questions about how they are as pets, so I thought I would start this thread to answer. Rats are not your usual pet, especially for us seniors.

I could never have one for a pet but yours are cute. Too many memories of an older friend that had them in her house and they had a terrible time getting rid of them. I prefer a fish for a pet.

Here are Max (left) and Bear trying to stay hydrated in the heat. Also trying to share. They do not have the sharing part quite down yet. Excuse the silly shot of my foot at the end. I do not know how to edit yet.

<strong><font size="4">

I gave the boys some strawberry yogurt today. It is good for them, and they like it. Seems as if Bear is enjoying it, and Max is waiting to see what Bear thinks.37032499_10211343041363058_8366283219556892672_n.jpg

Back