Headed to Darien GA for my birthday

Poked around shops, lots of looking but no buying. Them off the Fort King George

in walking down the trail, I spied a white heron (I think) wading in a little pond. Initially he flew to the cover of trees when I approached but then settled back for wading/ foraging.. I couldn’t get my phone camera to get any closer but I did the best I could.

0870DE1B-D3FA-49DE-A755-D839D88C3A37.jpeg

7DA01446-19E2-4669-8973-B9CE28044944.jpeg

when I initially walked up and he stretched to ascend to the tree, he had to be about 3+ feet tall and his wing span estimated at least 4 feet. It’s fascinating how he walks along, moving his feet in kind of a trembling way, I guess to stir up dinner from the mud.

Also at the fort…

F53858A5-B971-4B4F-94CF-40D2850AB1E5.jpeg

these are replicas built recently but give you a feel for the spartan conditions

6DD9BC39-CA5E-4CFB-94D4-280CFB0176FD.jpeg

looking out over the saw grass marsh from the 2nd story of the blockhouse. It was low tide

2840E3DC-24C3-40C3-8038-244FB1E8DD51.jpeg

the fort was established in 1721…. Soldiers that had either been wounded or were ready for retirement were the first to man the place. Also, Highlanders from Scotland helped with building. Lord, they must have thought they’d been sent to hell in the summer!

Today after church was a visit to the Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge. I opted for the “short” trail around one of the ponds. Loved walking through the quiet, primeval woods, noting moss-draped live oak, holly with bright red berries, saw palmetto palms and several kinds of oak.

when I came out with part of the pond on the left side of the trail, there was much to see and hear. I could hear (birds, I assume) chirps, chuckles, what sounded like ‘meow’ with a warble on the end, calls that sounded like a squeaky swing and one piercing/higher call from the other side. Ducks glided between marsh grasses in the middle of the pond. In the fore-ground were 4 magnificent herons, two white in the rushes and two blues on old stumps. (Pictured with lines to indicate there they are— I don’t have Oy’s camera equipment or expertise)

09D6071A-D181-4FFB-9655-F692ABD3A42A.jpeg

I stood still for probably 20 min, watching them forage and preen First one of the blues took off, then a white. (He’s in the lower left)
53A9848B-E2AF-49D1-B57E-93C6C347803C.jpeg

I kept waiting. Soon the other blue took flight.

12A11CE0-2E36-4ABC-91FA-ADA2007CC1BB.jpeg

A8D0D8C5-3C1F-41E0-97CC-C57BB03E923A.jpeg

I continues on the trail. Came to the other side, which was clearer water (less marsh grass and algae). On one hammock, nearest the shore, if you look closely, you can see a rah-ther large alligator 🐊

196026C8-4BB9-4EA7-8C95-DB4BE2CB5BC7.jpeg

also saw a grey heron standing with neck outstretched but he was just too far away to get a pic. Also observed turtles sunning themselves on a log. All in all a great afternoon of nature watching 😁

Thoughts for future vacations as I head home …

>> food on the road is much richer and larger portions than I am used to… next time, invest in a quality cooler and bring along apples, veggies, + light crackers, etc to balance it all out

>> my camera isn’t good enough to risk getting off the trail and picking up unwanted animal stow-aways.

>> I was glad I brought my timed heating pad… made falling asleep in an unfamiliar bed easier. Will repeat

here’s to a safe journey home abd y’all have a great day!

Back