Heartburn/ Acid Reflux

I think lots of foods get unfairly blamed for heartburn. Sometimes the cause is difficult to pinpoint.
In my 20's I had constant terrible heartburn - I'd eat at least 20 Rolaids/day. Three doctors told me to stop drinking coffee because it has some acid. Two other doctors said to avoid spicy food. All were wrong.
Years later when I started researching nutrition to lose weight, I gave up fried foods, pizza, pastries, chips, & greasy burgers. The heartburn completely disappeared - while still drinking coffee & eating extra-hot salsa.
I still hear people blame coffee for everything.

I think lots of foods get unfairly blamed for heartburn. Sometimes the cause is difficult to pinpoint.
In my 20's I had constant terrible heartburn - I'd eat at least 20 Rolaids/day. Three doctors told me to stop drinking coffee because it has some acid. Two other doctors said to avoid spicy food. All were wrong.
Years later when I started researching nutrition to lose weight, I gave up fried foods, pizza, pastries, chips, & greasy burgers. The heartburn completely disappeared - while still drinking coffee & eating extra-hot salsa.
I still hear people blame coffee for everything.
Interesting about fried foods. The only thing that gives my son heartburn is doughnuts- which are fried! We don't eat much fried food.

Chocolate, tomato and tomato products, onions, whole wheat, mint, citrus, alcohol, stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety should be first, but it isn't food.

Interesting about fried foods. The only thing that gives my son heartburn is doughnuts- which are fried! We don't eat much fried food.
Ah, yes....doughnuts. Friends & I visited our favorite doughnut shop every night. I'd eat at least 2. I never connected them to my heartburn. One thing that surprised me: A doughnut didn't look fried to me, so I never thought of them as fried, until a friend got a job in a doughnut shop & I watched him toss them into a big container of oil.

I've had many digestive issues through the years and have received treatment and medication for them. In my experience, it is the quantity consumed and not the particular food. I can tolerate most things in moderation, with the exception of many raw veggies.

I've had many digestive issues through the years and have received treatment and medication for them. In my experience, it is the quantity consumed and not the particular food. I can tolerate most things in moderation, with the exception of many raw veggies.

My issue also. And I do agree that it's not any particular food that triggers the problem. Just have to go easy on everything eaten, and drink plenty of water.

Back