Help for learning disabled daughter

Patnono

Hi and Happy New Years, does anyone know of any organizations that can give assistance to adults with disabilities? My daughter is 35 with severe dyslexia 6 grade level reading ability. Her earning abilities are limited. She only works PT minimum wage, which living in California is no way going to cut it. She depends on me financially but helps out as much as she can? I’m concerned what’s going to happen to her if something happens to Me? She was given training for a better job, because of her disability she couldn’t pass the final test. She applied for assistance to pass the test, she needs approval to get help from the State Disability department with the test. It’s been a year since she completed the training. Still Waiting for the approval. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

The fear of what will happen to my child is real. Expecting a state agency to follow up on what your daughter needs can fall through the cracks. Realizing you can't control what happens after, but you can control what you do now can help to ease your mind. Take the suggestions offered, do the research needed, follow up with the state , & don't stop until you get the answer you need.

You mentioned your daughter is working part time now, that alone should ease you mind some since she is capable of functioning in a work place.

The fear of what will happen to my child is real. Expecting a state agency to follow up on what your daughter needs can fall through the cracks. Realizing you can't control what happens after, but you can control what you do now can help to ease your mind. Take the suggestions offered, do the research needed, follow up with the state , & don't stop until you get the answer you need.

You mentioned your daughter is working part time now, that alone should ease you mind some since she is capable of functioning in a work place.
Thanks for your support, it does somewhat? We live in California where cost of living is one of the highest in the country. She has come along ways. When she was first diagnosed they said she was “Unemployable” which devastated me. She’s always worked, but is limited to what she can do? She’s afraid of trying something new? Yea, it took years to get the state to help her at All, they at one time said get a job that doesn’t require reading??? I’m going to see about housing for her.

Thanks for your support, it does somewhat? We live in California where cost of living is one of the highest in the country. She has come along ways. When she was first diagnosed they said she was “Unemployable” which devastated me. She’s always worked, but is limited to what she can do? She’s afraid of trying something new? Yea, it took years to get the state to help her at All, they at one time said get a job that doesn’t require reading??? I’m going to see about housing for her.
1st. You know whoever said she was unemployable was wrong. Check that off the worry box.

From what you post, you are going to see about housing for her means to me she is capable of living alone. It comes down to your concern about her earning a wage that will allow her to be able to live alone. That point is where you can spend time researching all that is available for her. Better now than later.

I have a disabled adult son. He is dyslexic, learning disabled and in special ed all through school. When he graduated his school recommended applying for SSI for him. First though, I put him in a program called Vocational Rehabilitation where people are tested and then try to place them in jobs. First he was given a job coach for a few different jobs in food service type of jobs. He failed miserably. They classified him as unemployable. He cannot remember things, or comprehend what he reads, if he does read it and mixes everything up. So he received SSI for years, then his father applied for his SSD and within a month, SSI went through the process of changing him over to his father's benefit as a disabled adult child. He looks perfectly normal and has always been able to live by himself, though SS has made me his payee representative so I pay his bills with his check and supply him with money little by little through out the month. He does not understand money very well. He lives a block away from me and I see him almost daily. Now I know he is not employable because there is too many things he cannot do. But he is happy and people always seem to like him. He is going to be 50 soon and I just go one day at a time with him. I think NY has more programs and help for people in this situation than other states. But SSI might provide help in some form, even if it is just another agency to refer you to.

I know that my local Walmart and Krogers employ greeters that have disabilities. Your State workforce could check into it for you. I don't know if that is the agency you are dealing with or not.

There are careers and full-time jobs that don't require reading skills beyond a 6th grade level. Caregiving, landscaping, photography, Uber and other driving come immediately to mind.

An internet search for jobs or careers for dyslexics yields numerous suggestions.
How would she pass the written test to get her license if she's that learning diabled?

How would she pass the written test to get her license if she's that learning diabled?
Possibly an aid to read the question so a verbal response could be given. Handicapped people get assistance in a lot of ways. I am not saying this is a fact but offer it as a possible explanation. "IF" that were an option of course her mother would have to spend a lot of time tutoring & quizzing her in order for her to pass.

Back