Here's a question for the guys about guns....

I spent many years as a competive trap shooter, I've shot PA. State Shoot and if your husband ever traveled to Ohio and shot the A.T.A. Grand American we probably crossed paths. Curious what brand your husband's trap gun was?

As for the remaining guns here's what I would do. Yes the boy is a shit, you owe him nothing. But..someday he may mature and feel differently. If there is a gun you know your husband had when the boy was young, or even a gun the son shot as a kid give it to him. Someday maybe he will look at the gun and have a good memory of his dad, and sure he could also simply sell it for quick cash but that will be his decision to regret.

Consider the safe and the other guns part of the estate to be sold. Do your research only before you sell the guns, easy to look up values by make and model, manufacture date can be found by serial number. Don't contact any dealers until you know the values, yes they need to make money but I think 20% below market value is as low as you should go.
Yes, my husband shot in the PA state shoot and Ohio Grand. We lived in NW PA for many years after he retired so he belonged to several trap clubs in the area. We lived in south TX for a few years and he shot in the San Antonio Southwestern Grand several times. When we lived in AZ, he shot in Las Vegas and Tucson and CA. I have a large tote full of his trophies. He belonged to ATA for many years.

He started shooting when we left CA in 2001 (when he retired) and went to Brownsville, TX. We stayed in a RV park for the winters and he made friends with other shooters. His first gun was a Remington 1100, then a Browning BT99, then he got an SKB, and the last gun he had was a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon. He shot as a senior vet class and his 16-yard average was Class A to AA depending on how much he got to shoot that year.

I sold his Beretta and all his reloading supplies to his friend that has a trap club in Ohio. The rest of his guns and the safe were sold to a local dealer here. I didn't feel his son deserved anything.

Find a gun store that buys and sells. Sell quick. They might be loaded so be careful transporting them.
My husband was very careful with guns so nothing is loaded and they are all cleaned and oiled :) I did sell them. His shot gun and supplies went to his friend that has a trap club in Ohio and the rest, along with the safe, were sold to a dealer that can take care of the FFL.

The situation.

The step-daughter I'm guessing wants the guns for free. The son has no interest in you or the guns.

Think about this. What would you advise a older woman in need of money with this sceanario?

"Recently, my step-daughter told me that her brother wants his dad's guns and they want the gun safe, which they bought for their dad years ago as a Christmas gift.

The son has never called me or even sent a text since his dad died in October to see if I'm OK. He hasn't contacted me personally about wanting the guns."

Would you advise to give away an asset of value?

Would you wait & hope that all legal requirements were met and the DIL would pay for any fees.

Or do like most have suggested. Sell & do it legally.
I sold my husband's trap gun and supplies to his friend that has a trap club in Ohio. The rest of the guns and safe I sold to a local dealer.

I don't have any guilt about it. His kids never respected him and I hated the way they talked down to him all the time and made him feel stupid. They were the know-it-alls. I have since cut ties with all of them and I have peace of mind about it.

Yes, my husband shot in the PA state shoot and Ohio Grand. We lived in NW PA for many years after he retired so he belonged to several trap clubs in the area. We lived in south TX for a few years and he shot in the San Antonio Southwestern Grand several times. When we lived in AZ, he shot in Las Vegas and Tucson and CA. I have a large tote full of his trophies. He belonged to ATA for many years.

He started shooting when we left CA in 2001 (when he retired) and went to Brownsville, TX. We stayed in a RV park for the winters and he made friends with other shooters. His first gun was a Remington 1100, then a Browning BT99, then he got an SKB, and the last gun he had was a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon. He shot as a senior vet class and his 16-yard average was Class A to AA depending on how much he got to shoot that year.

I sold his Beretta and all his reloading supplies to his friend that has a trap club in Ohio. The rest of his guns and the safe were sold to a local dealer here. I didn't feel his son deserved anything.
Trap shooting is a great sport, I met a lot of good people over the years and have some great memories. My Beretta was my favorite trap gun, mine was a 682 unsingle combo, beautiful gun, shot my best scores using that gun.

Glad you got the guns and safe issue sorted out, one less thing to worry about.

Hi,
I'm no stranger to firearms, and a strong advocate for gun safety. Many of the previous posters suggested bringing them to a dealer and selling them. I agree, but I would do it a few at a time. Handguns would go first, followed by long guns (shotguns, rifles) after. My only reason for that is the handguns are more susceptible to theft and misuse.

I've sold many firearms over the years, with the majority being at gun ranges. They do the transaction by the books, and you will get a fair wholesale price for the piece. Remember, they will resell the firearm, and obviously must make a profit.

I have four guns and I would like to get down to just two. I may go the dealer route but they really lowball you. It's a real pain to sell guns now. Places like facebook market place and craigslist won't let you.

I have four guns and I would like to get down to just two. I may go the dealer route but they really lowball you. It's a real pain to sell guns now. Places like facebook market place and craigslist won't let you.
Best place is a certified gun dealer. That way, they handle all the paperwork and when you leave, all the work is completed and the transaction is over.

And they lowball the Hell out of you. Before I'd sell a gun to one of those sharks I'd throw it off a bridge.
Well, I didn't want to throw them off a bridge, so I asked a friend of my late husband that was also a trap shooter to look up the value of each gun in his book so I had an idea of value before I went to the "shark". I knew they were going to try to take advantage of me (just like at the car dealership!) because (1) I'm a woman, and (2) I am recently widowed, so I "armed" myself with some knowledge before I went. They were fair prices and I made some much needed money. If I would have thrown them off a bridge I wouldn't have made any money :). Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Back