Hey, Let Me See That!

Raccoons are smart, have distinct personalities and can be real characters. One night just at the first bend in the road to our house as i was bringing daughter home at 10pm or so, 3 young, not babies but clearly not full adults were crossing the dark (no street lights) road. I stopped th car. 1 scampered the rest of the way across, but the other 2 just froze, standing upright staring at car, one grasping the other's shoulders in a panic. Luckily little traffic on that road (we see wildlife on it at night almost as often as cars), so i could just sit there, in a few seconds the smarter one came back and ushered his companions (siblings?) Across. One of the joys of country life.

Raccoons are smart, have distinct personalities and can be real characters. One night just at the first bend in the road to our house as i was bringing daughter home at 10pm or so, 3 young, not babies but clearly not full adults were crossing the dark (no street lights) road. I stopped th car. 1 scampered the rest of the way across, but the other 2 just froze, standing upright staring at car, one grasping the other's shoulders in a panic. Luckily little traffic on that road (we see wildlife on it at night almost as often as cars), so i could just sit there, in a few seconds the smarter one came back and ushered his companions (siblings?) Across. One of the joys of country life.
We really haven't seen many right by our house in years, we live in the suburbs with an open area behind our back fence. We had something breaking into our garage at night, pulling open the man door and eating our dry dog food, that's when we kept it there, no more.

Anyhoo, my husband rigged the door so it would stay closed if opened. We hear the noise in the middle of the night, and sure enough there was an adult raccoon in our garage, we had dogs at the time, but they were always kept inside at night. He immediately started to climb up the siding inside the garage to the overhead rafters, when my husband walked over to look up at him, he peeweed on him. We both had a laugh, saw what was after the dog food, opened the door and left him alone so he could exit. :D Haven't had any incidents since.

Back