Hey, oldman

Been There

@oldman You ever fly a 747? What size plane was your favorite? What airline did you fly for? Did you fly only Boeing or did you also fly Airbus? Did you like one better than the other? How many radios are in your cockpit?
Have you flown overseas? What’s the highest altitude that you have flown? A lot of questions. I never considered flying commercial. Too much responsibility. You know what they say “Flying commercial isn’t for everyone. “

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I had flown a Boeing 747-4 and a -8 for two years before going back to the B-757-767, which were my favorites, but are mostly relics now.
I flew the "Friendly Skies of United Airlines."
I only flew Boeing aircraft by my choice.
I like Boeing because of the avionics and I really know very little about flying Airbus because they use "Fly by wire" technology. They use a joystick, instead of a control column, but in an emergency, I could get by.
We carry three radios in the cockpit. We have a backup for the backup, plus we can talk on different frequencies at the same time.
No, I have never flown overseas, except I have flown to Alaska and Canada.
The highest altitude that I have flown as a pilot and that I can remember was 56,000 feet to get above a vicious storm that was as wide as it was long. When we got above the storm, we could look down and see the lightning inside the clouds. It was rough going getting past that storm.

You can ask me anything about flying. I like to talk about aviation. When I first retired, I didn't know how I could live without it, so I took a job for a private company that flew for big corporations as a "for hire" business.

@oldman Thanks for the answers I should have asked how many years you flew and did you learn to fly in the military, but that's OK I'm OK with what you sent. I flew in the military, but it was only me or me and my WO. I liked to fly also.

Yes, I had flown a Boeing 747-4 and a -8 for two years before going back to the B-757-767, which were my favorites, but are mostly relics now.
During my working life I flew a lot. Of the Boeing aircraft I've flown on everything from 707 to 777 (except the 717) and my favorite, by far, was the 757. I didn't realize it was being phased out. :cry:

oldman, sorry to bother you again, but a question came up at our poker night last Wednesday and I didn’t know the answer, so maybe you can help. Can commercial aircraft communicate with military aircraft? I know military couldn’t when I retired, but that’s been awhile ago now and things do change. Do you have an answer for this question? Thanks.

oldman, sorry to bother you again, but a question came up at our poker night last Wednesday and I didn’t know the answer, so maybe you can help. Can commercial aircraft communicate with military aircraft? I know military couldn’t when I retired, but that’s been awhile ago now and things do change. Do you have an answer for this question? Thanks.
I saw this question and thought I would give you a quick answer. It all depends on what frequency we are using. Whether it be UHF or VHF. Most commercial aircraft uses UHF. It’s unlikely that the two different types of aircraft talk to one another. Personally, I never have.

Back