Hey, we forgot about the MUSIC!!!!!

I'm listening to an "oldies" station on the radio. "Stop In The Name Of Love" is on. Remember the Supreme with those beautiful flowing gowns. Aw Wow! Remember when they weren't oldies. "The top 40." Kacey Kasmem. Since you are a 'senior', you loved, or at least lived through the Beetles era. I was amazed as each oldie came over the radio, I could tell you where I was when I first heard it. I had a bunch of 45s, I can't remember people's names, but I can describe each 45 rpm label. It's so strange how the best music ever written was produced when you were in school.

I've never forgotten about the music. It's my passion, and also I still have all the original 45's from way back when I was a teen in the 60's and 70's... Lots of us seniors love music of all genres' which is why we have a huge Music section as part of this forum...

I"m also the same as you that when I think of the title of a record that I bought in my teens, and even though I've not seen those records for decades, (they're in the attic)... I can visualize the label straight away

As a guy who played in bands from the time I was eleven, in '63, i know just about every popular tune from the mid 40's/early 50's through the late 90's, when I left the biz. I also know many pop tunes from the last few years, as I made a run to get a band going, again, only to find that the musicians who are not currently working in busy bands, are not the kind I wanted to play with.

I have to take issue with the assertion that the best music ever written was written while we were in school. That smacks of a certain "old people" bias towards the "good old days." Good music is still being written. There are gifted musicians and songwriters in every generation. There are some great, new, creative tunes out there, including hip-hop and rap. It's just that many of us are quickly dismissing the validity of the same because we're hearing everything through "old ears."

Growing up I was very lucky. My Dad had a friend who filled Juke boxes and whenever he did he gave me and my sister all the new songs. I can't even count how many we had.My parents both loved music so growing up music was always on. My Dad liked the Mills Brothers,Perry Coma and Louie Prima. My Mom was a Dean Martin fan. Oh how I love music.

I miss AM radio of the 60's. Tuning in a distant signal at night, dealing with the fading and propagation changes. The shows were local not some recorded DJ from who knows where...

I started listening to shortwave in the 70's, those programs are gone as well.

I remember those 45 records in the 50's. We bought each other one or two for birthday gifts, sometimes we borrowed them or traded them.

In the late 60's I switched to country,western music which my hubby and I still enjoy.
My daughter showed me how to get music from YouTube to my Kindle to play through our car radio speakers. It takes forever to download them but I have enough on my Kindle to keep us happy with the tunes we both enjoy when we travel.

I suppose doing it the way I described is already out of date but we don't have a smartphone and many of my cd's don't play correctly in the car player. This works for us.

As a guy who played in bands from the time I was eleven, in '63, i know just about every popular tune from the mid 40's/early 50's through the late 90's, when I left the biz. I also know many pop tunes from the last few years, as I made a run to get a band going, again, only to find that the musicians who are not currently working in busy bands, are not the kind I wanted to play with.

I have to take issue with the assertion that the best music ever written was written while we were in school. That smacks of a certain "old people" bias towards the "good old days." Good music is still being written. There are gifted musicians and songwriters in every generation. There are some great, new, creative tunes out there, including hip-hop and rap. It's just that many of us are quickly dismissing the validity of the same because we're hearing everything through "old ears."
Very well stated treeguy.👍

Back