High Cost of Prescription Drugs

Yes, the predictions and forecasts for what will happen under the ACA, are all over the place. Some paint a rosy picture, while others are full of gloom and doom. It will take 3 or 4 years to see just how this thing works out, but once the Health Care Industry figures out how to work around any positive provisions, and modify their tactics so as to insure their bloated profits, we will be right back in the situation where costs are increasing at a ridiculous pace.

All the more reason we should have gotten Single Payer.. or Medicare for all. Say what you will about government bureaucracy.... the ONE thing the Federal Government seems to do well is Medicare. It provides great care for Seniors while still having a 3% overhead cost. Does anyone here absolutely HATE their Medicare? Have you been denied treatment? Are you told what doctor you can or cannot see? Private insurance on the other hand spends 20 to 30% on "administrative costs" including bonuses for the CEOs. Routinely (that is until the ACA stopped it) denied coverage for pre-existing conditions, and dictated what treatments they allowed or denied.

Sadly, Obama caved in on that before negotiations even started.. and still gave a plum to private insurance.

I never went without healthcare in my entire life. I didn't realize how obscene the costs of my Kaiser healthcare plan was, until I retired and started to pay my Cobra out of pocket, and continued to pay continually rising monthly premiums...a beginning to help deplete any retirement savings I had squirreled away from over 40 yrs. of full-time and overtime work, and paying my taxes, never collecting any form of welfare, etc.

It was like a kick in the teeth. I for one was very happy to see the Affordable Care Act come into play, it's the first step to get the greedy powers that be behind the medical industry to stop the madness. With a little bit of luck, we'll go to universal healthcare/single payer system like others already have, I'll surely be on Medicare by the time that happens in the US.

Besides the cost savings, Obamacare also has seen to it that those with pre-existing conditions are not denied insurance. I'm on no prescriptions, I have no pre-existing conditions, and I rarely even see a doctor at all...but I'm glad for those who finally don't get screwed because they suffer from a disease. Also, insurance companies can't just drop you for no reason, and I understand that was happening quite a bit to people.

The day I saw a prescription commercial on television, it disgusted me. When I started seeing one every half-hour, I couldn't believe it. They crank those drugs out as fast as they can. You no longer get used to hearing one drug name, and it's been replaced with another, because that one was giving people heart attacks, or making them blind, etc.

I guess if you promote Obamacare in a red (republican/conservative/right-wing) state like Kentucky, you can get the citizens to go from hating it to loving it, just get Obama out of the name, and call it Kynect. :rolleyes:

I guess if you promote Obamacare in a red (republican/conservative/right-wing) state like Kentucky, you can get the citizens to go from hating it to loving it, just get Obama out of the name, and call it Kynect. :rolleyes:

How is Mitch McConnell going to take Kynect away from the Kentuckians who are going to vote him back into office today? I listened to him during his debate with Allison Lundergan Grimes.. Here's what he said when asked.

“Kentucky Kynect is a website. It was paid for by a two-hundred-and-some-odd-million-dollar grant from the federal government. The website can continue but in my view the best interests of the country would be achieved by pulling out ObamaCare root and branch,” McConnell said in a debate with Alison Lundergan Grimes, the Democratic candidate for Senate.

He knows that so many Kentuckians don't realize that without Obamacare.. Kynect goes away. How can he be so deceitful and hurt so many people that for some, is the first time they could see a doctor. He literally makes me sick.

Back to the drug thing... I was on a medication that I liked, and was working very well... Until that is my INSURANCE company decided it wouldn't pay for it any longer. The out of pocket cost for me would have been over $500 for a 90 day supply. I had to switch to a different medication that does not work as well and I do not tolerate as well, but is covered. So we can add Insurance companies as part of the tag team match to screw consumers.

Back