Higher Risk Of Stroke For Vegetarians

fmdog44

From a short article in Reader's Digest ... An 18 year study of 48,188 people with no history of heart disease vegans and vegetarians had a 22% lower risk of developing heart disease than meat eaters but a 20% higher risk if suffering a stroke. A reason mat be lack of vitamin B12. Why the article fails to state who did the research is a concern.

Wouldn't it be funny if the meat & dairy industry funded that article - the same way they paid doctors to tell patients about the "Four Food Groups," & the importance of meat & dairy in the diet?"
The problem with B12 is not how much you take in, but how much you absorb & some prescription drugs can deplete B12 from the body. It is synthesized from bacteria.
A friend had Anemia & his doctor told him to eat more beef & chicken. When we'd eat out, he always ordered lots of meat. He got worse & worse, then it became life threatening & he was hospitalized for weeks.
My sister's ex mother-in-law had osteoporosis & whenever I saw her, she was drinking milk. I asked her why she drinks so much milk & she said her doctor told her to because of her osteoporosis. After a few months, she couldn't stand because her back was completely curved.

A vitamin or nutrient deficiency is usually not due to inadequate intake - unless someone is actually starving.

I go to the doctor as a last resort, after I've tried other methods to try and ease my problem. I simply don't trust doctors. I also feel I'm talked down to, as though being old means I'm senile.
I definitely can relate. As we age, I feel we do not get the best care as younger people. I don't trust docs either. I actually told my GYN that I don't have too much Faith in doctors.. she said well I am a doctor..my response - well I was not talking about you.. but in my head.. if the shoe fits..LOL.

From a short article in Reader's Digest ... An 18 year study of 48,188 people with no history of heart disease vegans and vegetarians had a 22% lower risk of developing heart disease than meat eaters but a 20% higher risk if suffering a stroke. A reason mat be lack of vitamin B12. Why the article fails to state who did the research is a concern.
A blood test can tell you if you are deficient in B12. I was. The pill is not swallowed. They go under the tongue. That should be simple enough. He wanted to give me a shot of B 12. I refused.

A person can eat red meat as long as they make sure it's lean. That's the mistake some doctors who recommend going vegan make. And not one size fits all. What works for me, may not work for you, because of our genetic background.

Back